New mark on map icon when note written

Chris

Question

Hi, 

I really enjoy challenge caches and highlight those I qualify for but have not yet signed. However, there are some that, although I don’t yet qualify, I have visited and signed (write note) instead of find logged and thought it would be great if a symbol appeared on those a bit like the corrected coordinates red triangle. I’d noticed that when using the map of challenge caches on Project G-C a small white note was displayed on those I’d signed and have found it really useful.

5 answers to this question

There are many different icons that can show up on the pins, so we would need to make it work with the design, and likely be a user option that is off by default.

In the meantime, the note icon does appear on the map callout and in list view, if this helps. See screenshots:

IMG_8167.jpg

IMG_8168.jpg

Just trying this out and it seems to pick up and display the icon wherever you have written in the personal note section rather than if you have written a note on the physical log. So whilst helpful it’s not telling me if the log has a note written by myself only that I have a personal note in the cache page. I guess from now on I could write the word ‘signed on’ or ‘unsigned’ first in the personal note section which would at least stop me having to scroll through all logs. Still have to open the cache to find out though rather than know at a glance at the map pin or list view.

8 hours ago, Chris said:

Just trying this out and it seems to pick up and display the icon wherever you have written in the personal note section rather than if you have written a note on the physical log.

Ah, sorry about that. I misunderstood your question. :(

I have two other ways that might help.

• On the logs tab, you can change the filtering of logs to a log type, which you could set to "Write note". Then you could scroll through the write note logs and tap the cache name if you want to go to that cache.
  • You could also save large amounts of caches into offline lists and use the powerful offline filtering options. You could use the "Log type" along with the "Log text" option. 

Just some ideas, hope these can help.

Other than those, if I was to try and build this feature, the API that we use wouldn't know if you had a write note log for a cache unless it was one of the last 30 logs in the cache. Project GC can do things differently as they have a full database of geocaching.com.