2x map display required

kosunde

Question

Cachly is really my favourite geocaching app with tons of nice features.  Unfortunately all of the maps are close to unreadable for normal people like me on a retina type of display on iPhones. I would like to see a 2x map display, to be able to read detailed and beautiful maps that can be added to Cachly, to assist is in our hunt for geocaches! 

13 answers to this question

In 6.0, Apple Maps, Google Maps and our Premium Offline Maps all support accessible font sizes (larger font sizes). When you use the iOS accessibility settings to change iOS to larger font sizes, the maps will also update and show larger text sizes.

Are you not seeing this happen? If not, can you make sure you are upgraded to 6.0 and show some screenshots?

Sorry Nic, Google Maps and Apple Maps are not usable for Geocaching at all. I prefer to use the best maps available for free. In my country,  Norway, that is the official maps from the Norwegian Mapping Authority. The maps is raster tiles, not vector tiles. They CSN be added to Cachly as custom maps. With raster tiles there is not possible to change Thingstad like font size, line width and so on in the client. Therefore I would like to see 2X. I am really dissapointed about the legibility of maps in Cachly in general, almost not usable at all. Everything else In Cachly is splendid. Have a look at a couple of screenshots from the same map service, shown in two apps, one of them Cachly. Does this need more explanation?

687E6265-DD5A-4F37-A14A-57A1C3CC0571.png

AB92744F-9831-4F9E-B8C2-E75F030EDEB0.png

2x isn't something I have planned currently. However, can you provide some example tile URLs and the app that you are showing screenshots of?

I would encourage you to try our Premium Offline Maps. I have worked for almost 2 years on the styles and readability of these maps.

I really hope that you will consider 2X. The tile URL showed in Cachly in the above screendump is http://opencache.statkart.no/gatekeeper/gk/gk.open_gmaps?layers=topo4&zoom={z}&x={x}&y={y}. The other screenshot showing the same map in 2X is From the app «Norgeskart»,  available for free in App Store. Yes, I have used the premium offline maps for geocaching a couple of times, when I have been without Internet access. Unfortunately I do not find them very usable either. I would instead prefer to download raster tiles to my device instead, like in You van do in the app CacheBird.

24 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

@kosunde I just did some testing and I was able to get 2x rendering working in Cachly pretty easily. For additional testing, I would like to test the map tile URL that you were showing screenshots. If you can't share it here, could you email it to support@cach.ly?

I just shared this URL: http://opencache.statkart.no/gatekeeper/gk/gk.open_gmaps?layers=topo4&zoom={z}&x={x}&y={y}. This is open and free data, really the maps that everyone in Norway would like to use for Geocaching.

This looks a lot more readable. What do you think?

IMG_7797.PNG

15 minutes ago, kosunde said:

Yes, I have used the premium offline maps for geocaching a couple of times, when I have been without Internet access. Unfortunately I do not find them very usable either.

What do you feel would make our offline maps better and something you would use?

3 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

This looks a lot more readable. What do you think?

IMG_7797.PNG

What do you feel would make our offline maps better and something you would use?

In our country, Norway, that would be to use the best map data available for free. That would not be OSM. The map above is based on open and free data.