Import GPX file

Patrick

There seems to be an odd behavior in updating to iOS13 related to Cachly recognizing the GPX extension. The developer has reached out to Apple to see why iOS 13 breaks this connection where previous iOS upgrades were fine.

The situation resolves itself if you update Cachly AFTER you upgrade to iOS13 or an iOS13 patch such as 13.0.1 or 13.0.2.  If you haven't yet updated to the latest Cachly in the app store, doing so should re-create the link. If you update iOS13 (or a patch) later, it will likely break the connection to GPX again. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Looks like Apple broke this functionality for many apps. I didn't pick up on any solution in that thread. Every time someone claimed it was resolved, I'd expect updating to the next iOS patch or updating another installed app that uses the file extension (eg GPX) would cause the iOS bug to resurface. 

15 hours ago, Patrick said:

Don’t know if you know this thread:

https://forums.developer.apple.com/thread/118932

But it looks very interesting. 

There isn't currently a solution to this. I have been working directly with an Apple engineer on the issue, and as mentioned in the above when multiple apps are registering for GPX files is when the bug occurs. He said there is no fix.

The one fix I do see in the thread is to allow Cachly to open ANY file type, which I am hesitant to do.

Hello I am new to this forum and I have just installed Cachly on my Iphone 8+. I also use GSAK for many years and I was very hopefull to see whether Cachly accepted a GPX file from my found caches data base in GSAK. So what I did was I imported this data file via Itunes to Cachly, but unfortunately Cachly didn't accepts the file.

See enclosed pictures. Any Idea what caused the problem?

GPX 2.PNG

GPX.PNG

• 2 months later...

With 5.2.20 version, when I select "Copy to Cachly" from within Files app, or Safari, Cachly just opens and nothing happens.

EDIT: Ok, it looks like it is because the file's name is "xxx.gpx.xml". Safari adds "xml" extension to the file name while downloading and Cachly refuses it. I did not find a way to remove the xml extension from within Files application. Any suggestions? Thank you.

11 hours ago, ferda-mravenec said:

I have created an application, something like c-geo:

https://github.com/little-fish/gcUnicorn

And I have it up an running in case I need caches.

If you are controlling the GPX download could you zip it? If not, I do not know why Safari would give it a XML extension, are you sending the correct mime-type?

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, ferda-mravenec said:

Hi there. Is there any progress related to this issue? Currently, I am able to compress gpx file and import it into Cachly. But I am not able to import a gpx file directly - if I try to do that, I select output list and Cachly displays a popup saying "Processing..." with the wheel spinning indefinitely.

Where are you trying to import the GPX file from?

4 minutes ago, ferda-mravenec said:

I downloaded it via Safari - so from Safari's download context menu. And I tried it from Files app (from Downloads folder) as well.

EDIT: Then I compressed the gpx file directly inside Files app and imported the compressed file into Cachly. 

Do you have a link to this specific GPX file so I can test it? Also, what version of iOS are you using?

3 hours ago, ferda-mravenec said:

Test gpx file. I am using the latest version of iOS (13.5.1) on iPhone SE.

That link opened up Dropbox and from there I was able to successfully import into Cachly. Here is a GPX file I uploaded to the Cachly website, are you able to use the share option in Safari and open it in Cachly? 

https://www.cach.ly/__data/assets/file/0005/14756/1,000-Caches.gpx

Everyone's system is a little different depending on what apps are installed, etc so I'll try and walk you through me processing the link you said. It might not be 100% the same for you but maybe close enough. I have Dropbox installed on my phone but I didn't us it as part of the steps. 

1. I long press the link to https://www.dropbox.com/s/42k9u1acr92reh3/gcunicorn_2020-06-25_11-02-21.gpx?dl=0 and open in a new tab in my browser (Chrome). 
  2. I select continue to the web site vs install/use the dropbox app.
  3. That presents a browser screen with a Download link that I click and select Direct Download (vs Save to my Dropbox).  
  4. I get a small option at the bottom of that browser screen and press Download again, 
  5. I get another small option at the bottom of that browser screen with two options. One lists your file name and Open in... and the other option, for me, was for Google Drive. I select Open in...
  6. My phone opens a familiar window when you typically do a Share on the phone. Here again depending on what you have installed, Cachly might be in different places. I don't have anything for Cachly if I scroll down the options on that window, and I don't show anything for Cachly when I scroll across the listed app icons, so at the end of the app icon list I select the icon with three dots labeled More. 
  7. The more screen brings up a long list that will depend on what you have installed. For me, I scroll way down the list and I see Copy to Cachly there. When I tap Copy to Cachly, it launches Cachly and goes to the Import GPX screen in Cachly
  8. Not sure if you needs steps from here but I'll include them. I tao Choose Offline List at the top of the Cachly Import GPX screen 
  9. Select an existing list or press the + in the top right of the Cachly screen to create a new list which you then need to select
  10. After selecting a list, adjust any other options and then tap Import in the top right of the Cachly Import GPX screen
  11. Tap the Lists icon at the bottom and re-select your list and you should see the caches

If the above doesn't work, which step in the process are you not able to match against something on your phone?

Thank you for detailed info.

When I go step by step with using Chrome, it works fine and I am able to import the GPX file. +1! (I do remember that I had problems with Chrome months ago.)
But when I use Safari or Files app, it doesn't work - it hangs on nr. 10. - after tapping on Import, Processing... dialog appears with the wheel spinning. And here it hangs. I can notice small shift of the Processing... popup dialog after a few seconds. Can you please test it with Safari or Files app?
I recorded the screen with the issue: 20200627_193919.mp4

In Safari it is even easier/less steps and it worked for me. 

I opened https://www.dropbox.com/s/42k9u1acr92reh3/gcunicorn_2020-06-25_11-02-21.gpx?dl=0 in Safari and most of the same steps take place. It is a little different after the Download step as I need to click the Download link at the top to the right of the URL bar. That opens a Downloads dialog and clicking that, for me, opens Cachly at the Import GPX screen.

Do you get this screen/dialog and what happens when you press on the downloaded file?

IMG_C8F0CE945B97-1.jpeg

21 hours ago, ferda-mravenec said:

I do understand that without a log or debugging you are blind. Personally, I ask "a customer" to enable debug logging for a short period of time and gather log files. Anyway I am open to help you out. Just tell me what to do :)

Do you have another device such as an iPad that you could test this same scenario on?

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/31/2020 at 10:59 AM, ferda-mravenec said:

Does Cachly have any kind of debug logging? 

Cachly does have a lot of debugging built in for crash logs, etc, but nothing to help debug this particular issue. Since it isn't a crash, without plugging your device into my computer I am not sure what else to try unfortunately. :(

• 5 months later...
On 6/25/2020 at 2:16 PM, ferda-mravenec said:

Cachly displays a popup saying "Processing..." with the wheel spinning indefinitely.

On 8/3/2020 at 9:06 PM, Nic Hubbard said:

without plugging your device into my computer I am not sure what else to try unfortunately.

I experienced the same symptom described by ferda-mravenec when rying to import a GPX file from Files, and found this thread when googling about it. For me the solution was to actually download the file to the phone first from iCloud, before copying it to Cachly.

That is to say, when I ran into this problem, I had downloaded a GPX to my computer and transferred it to my phone by uploading it to iCloud. When done like this, the file appears on the phone's Files app, but it has a little cloud icon on the upper right corner indicating it's not stored locally on the phone. Trying to copy a file to Cachly from this state gets me the infinite Processing wheel every time. If in I tap Download first in Files and then copy it to Cachly, that works like a charm.

Not sure if there's anything Cachly could do in that scenario except fail gracefully, but I hope this helps some future googlers, and I guess following these steps might help let you debug what the app is trying to do when it gets stuck in in processing a GPX file.

On 1/4/2021 at 10:56 AM, mustakorppi said:

When done like this, the file appears on the phone's Files app, but it has a little cloud icon on the upper right corner indicating it's not stored locally on the phone. Trying to copy a file to Cachly from this state gets me the infinite Processing wheel every time. If in I tap Download first in Files and then copy it to Cachly, that works like a charm.

Yes, this appears to be the root of the problem. I will see if there is anything I can do on my end.