Keeping offline lists in sync with online lists and PQs

DrDaffy

Hi,

since the day I discovered Cachly I love it, but since the first day I have one problem with Cachly. Keeping my offline and online lists (and PQs in sync). The way it is handled by the official app works perfect for me. You prefer to strictly separate online lists and offline lists, I understand this. But am I the only user who works with both and needs to keep them synced?

Example/problem 1 - Online/Offline list:
I start a new list at my computer at home. Then I download it to my phone and continue adding caches and if I'm not careful, I end up with new caches on both lists some of them online and others offline.

Example/problem 2 - PQs:
I have several PQs covering my home town that run 2 times a week listing all caches that I didn't find. So far my workflow to update my offline copies was:

• Go to PQs
  • Download new PQs
  • Go to offline lists
  • Sort all lists by title
  • Go through all lists and delete the duplicate lists

This was not a nice workflow but in a recent update it got even worse (for me :), others might like it). Now, when downloading a PQ he asks for a target list and you have the possibility to download it to an existing list. That sounds good, but than I realized that by doing this I don't get the desired offline copy of my PQ because caches that are no longer available (found or archived) stay in the list. So I have to manually delete all unwanted caches or at each download I have to create a new list and then delete the old one.

And why was this 'Choose target list for download' only added to the PQs and not to the download of online lists?

What about this:

1. The 'Choose target list for downbload' dialog gets a 'delete caches that are not longer in the list' option. (by doing this the offline list will have exactly the caches that are online)
  2. Download of online lists works like the download of PQs

I would still have to be careful not to add caches to an online list and to its offline copy (perhaps you could also prevent adding caches to an offline list which is the copy of an online list) but with these two (I hope) small changes it would be rudimentary possible to keep an offline list in sync with its online counterpart.

Perhaps you have othe/better/whatever ideas but it would be great to be able to keep online and offline lists in sync without much manual work.

Best,
David

I use lists as my main exchange/sharing approach between applications (GC, Cachly, Project-GC and Cachetur). 

I usually stay with using an online list until I'm pretty sure that I am done making changes but should I make a change in an offline list that I want to use online or in another app, I just send the offline caches back to the online list within Cachly. This is possible but it's not some magic background process and requires you to take an action. I need to do something similar if I use Cachetur/Project-GC and add a cache to a trip that I want included in my list. 

Adding the same target option for online lists to an existing offline list was suggested previously and captured as a future enhancement request. 

I think the option to have a PQ replace an existing list is something that could be done but somewhat dangerous. Imagine someone has a list that isn't just from a single PQ and they say to replace it. All the other caches are gone. Many (myself included) would say that they should understand the consequences of their actions, but we aren't the ones getting support calls from users that blew away something they can't easily recover.

6 hours ago, DrDaffy said:

This was not a nice workflow but in a recent update it got even worse (for me :), others might like it). Now, when downloading a PQ he asks for a target list and you have the possibility to download it to an existing list. That sounds good, but than I realized that by doing this I don't get the desired offline copy of my PQ because caches that are no longer available (found or archived) stay in the list.

When you are adding a PQ, just tap the + button on the top right of the screen to create the PQ into a new list using the PQ name.

@Team DEMP: I completely agree on 'no magic background process', they are dangerous. But there is surely a possibility for a solution with has to be triggered consciously and might even inform you 'x Caches will be added/deleted here and there'.

@Nic Hubbard: It's right that by tapping + I am back at my former workflow which wasn't nice before and got even longer now.

I will be patient and wait and see what the future holds :-)