New cache alert?

thelinuxnoob

Unfortunately no. There is no way of Cachly knowing if a new cache has been placed since we are only a third-party authorized partner app. Meaning we don't have direct notifications from the geocaching.com server for things like that. 

The official app can do this since they have push notifications built for their app that come from their server.

2 hours ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Unfortunately no. There is no way of Cachly knowing if a new cache has been placed since we are only a third-party authorized partner app. Meaning we don't have direct notifications from the geocaching.com server for things like that. 

The official app can do this since they have push notifications built for their app that come from their server.

Makes sense. I have a small correction though, they don't have push notifications from the app. You can get an email notification sent via text message if a cache is placed within a predetermined radius of a specific location. That's the part I find sort of inconvenient. I had hoped to be able to simply enable a setting that would notify me if a cache was placed in my vicinity.

11 minutes ago, thelinuxnoob said:

Makes sense. I have a small correction though, they don't have push notifications from the app. You can get an email notification sent via text message if a cache is placed within a predetermined radius of a specific location. That's the part I find sort of inconvenient. I had hoped to be able to simply enable a setting that would notify me if a cache was placed in my vicinity.

I don't use the Official app, but I had thought there were notifications, but I could be wrong.

When you get the email, you can long press on the link and copy it, then paste that into Cachly's search field and it will load that cache.

• 1 month later...
On 7/1/2019 at 2:06 PM, thelinuxnoob said:

You can get an email notification sent via text message if a cache is placed within a predetermined radius of a specific location. That's the part I find sort of inconvenient. I had hoped to be able to simply enable a setting that would notify me if a cache was placed in my vicinity.

Please do not take this as a snarky comment.  I wondered how a radius from your location is different from your vicinity?