Highlighting with logic

diorex

Question

I have recently discovered highlighting and am finding it really useful. Blue for older caches, Yellow for high favorites, Red for targets for challenges etc.

This makes offline lists even more useful since I can have multiple offline lists but can see caches that exist on more than one list. I have actually added a number of offline lists as a result.

I also noticed that when I do a location search that any cache that is in a offline list and has highlighting applied to it will show that highlighting on the local area search - awesome a cache I had flagged is nearby.

I would love to take this a step further and be able to configure my search results using highlighting that is not already in an offline list.

We currently have the ability to do filtered searches - so say I only want to see caches placed during a specific month or caches that have more than X favorite points etc. The filtering option is great, but 99% of the time I am searching, I just want to see the caches nearby.

But if there was a cache nearby that had say more than 20 favorite points or was hidden on February 29th or was a year 2000/01/02 cache, or hidden in the current caching month or is that really unusual 4.5/3.5 DT rating I need for fizzy loops or.... I would be much more likely to go find that cache that meets my specific defined criteria of what I am looking for.

The app already does all of what I am looking to accomplish, but not all at the same time. 

I can run filters for what I am looking for (including all of the above I believe), but they have to be configured individually for each search. If there is a way to have more than one saved search filter I am unaware of it.

The app can highlight caches in search results.

In fact the app is already doing one version of this type of filtering with the FTF flag. 

I cant tell you how many times that 50 favorite point caches was literally the 5th closest cache but I went after the closest one because I did not check the stats of every cache and thus missed out on the higher quality caching experience.

I would suggest limiting this to say 3 applied filters with specific assigned color highlights that can be configured exactly like the filters currently are but are applied for any new search.

Search results will still show 30 closest caches but the one with the Orange highlight tag say 5 miles away would draw attention that probably would otherwise be ignored because it is not one of the closest 4-5 caches. 

3 answers to this question

54 minutes ago, diorex said:

If there is a way to have more than one saved search filter I am unaware of it.

Yes, you can turn on as many of the filters as you want. You are saying this isn't working? You are meaning Live filtering?

55 minutes ago, diorex said:

Search results will still show 30 closest caches but the one with the Orange highlight tag say 5 miles away would draw attention that probably would otherwise be ignored because it is not one of the closest 4-5 caches. 

Can you explain this a bit more?

Hopefully a clearer explanation.

I do a radius search - it returns the 30 closest unfound caches. 

Say I have a casual goal to find caches with some level of favorite points when possible. I could set up a highlight logic for searches that is something like - if a cache has more than 10 favorite points highlight "Orange". 

With this logic I would not need to have every single 10 favorite point cache already in an offline list and highlighted (current functionality), instead this highlight logic would show me the 30 closest unfound caches and if any of them met my criteria then it would automatically get highlighted the color associated with the filter. I would still see all the caches from the search, but now there is an added a tag to ones that I have expressed a preference for. 

Filters currently allow me to do this (I can look for just caches with 10 or more favorite points), as does sorting (my default list sort is favorites), but with the addition of highlight logic, I would be able to quickly see caches that meet my criteria, while still able to see all other caches, which would increase my propensity to kind caches that meet my own caching targets.

Sample Use cases:

Highlight all year 2000 caches one color (RED), all 2001-2003 a different color (GREEN) and anything from 2004-2009 a third color (BLUE). This would not be handled easily by a PQ or even project-gc or GSAK lists turned into offline lists because there are 10's of thousands of them. 

Target favorites - More than 100 favorites (red), more than 50 favorites (green) more than 10 favorites (blue) - this would require priority of filters. Again not really feasible with GSAK

Date loops - Feb 29th is a much rarer hide date, for someone trying to loop date hidden this would be a useful highlight, for me that date is December 17th for some reason. Again pretty unwieldy - and as soon as I get several of a date, then some other date becomes my target so a highlight filter solves this problem much better than a series of PQs.

Combinations - cache is unknown and D<2 and T<2 would identify puzzles I could probably solve from my phone while I eat lunch and grab on my way back to the office.