Premium maps - details (hiking and cycle trails)

ferda-mravenec

Hello.

I've purchased premium maps with hopes that hiking and cycle trails are included in the maps' data, but I was wrong.

1) It would be great to have an ability to modify map's theme (add custom one, change current one, ..). Please, please, give us the ability.

2) Would it be possible to add extra data into the map / or if the data are already there to modify theme to show the extra data?

This is how it should look like (trails enabled - pink one is a bike trail; blue and green ones are hiking trails) (source with coordinates):

mapy_cz.thumb.jpg.40d47746c806a508c01b147a4146204f.jpg

And this is how it looks like in cachly:

cachly.thumb.PNG.f311a7e4cf5788370eb2c779da58922d.PNG

Very good source for all the hiking and bike trails here in Czechia is mapy.cz.

Thank you.

Not sure but it looks like the trail is in the premium map screen you posted. The initial screen shot appears to have a use specific style applied to a portion of the trail?  There's no current way within Cachly for you to adjust the style.  The premium maps are based on OpenStreetMaps.org and you are free to sign up and adjust the base OSM map. From a quick look, mapy.cz is also based on OSM and they might be adding additional layers?

Cachly's premium map shows unpaved roads (the brown ones from the screen above), but how should a tourist know which of all the unpaved roads is hike/bike trail?

You are correct, the initial screenshot uses OSM maps with additional theme apply to it. All the information about hike/bike trails are already in OSM. So we only need a theme which will displays the additional data.

5 hours ago, ferda-mravenec said:

1) It would be great to have an ability to modify map's theme (add custom one, change current one, ..). Please, please, give us the ability.

No, this isn't something that we have planned. The current styles have been carefully designed and thought out.

Can you give me the coordinates of where this trail is?

• 4 weeks later...

The premium cards are already a big step forward in Cachly. But I can just support the idea of ferda-mravenec. The possibility to show/hide details or even change the style would be sensational!
My cache partner uses the Locus app on Android and when we are on the road she often has much better information on her (OSM) maps (e.g. display of fountains or fireplaces in the woods). Especially helpful is that she can see if a road is passable by car or if it is a one-way street!

10 hours ago, Attila_G said:

e.g. display of fountains or fireplaces in the woods

Do you have an example on openstreetmap that you can show me?

10 hours ago, Attila_G said:

Especially helpful is that she can see if a road is passable by car or if it is a one-way street!

Cachly does show direction with small arrow icons, are you not seeing that? Also, can you show me an example of the passable by car road? I would need to see what OSM attribute that road is tagged with.

Hi Nic

Here are the samples Cachly premium maps vs OSM based Freizeitkarte-osm.de maps. If needed I can also tell you the coords of this locations.

1a.thumb.JPG.1dda8e97df35811d7cf19e9ebc561377.JPG1b.thumb.JPG.7c7232dad9c7c26440fde7f4e57bac69.JPG

A fountain (with drinking water) and a Picknick place are displayed.

2a.thumb.JPG.22ac3876424dede4e81118ba08412a6f.JPG2b.thumb.JPG.5980fde993cbb156e63d741250dcdd92.JPG

The light purple color shows streets with driving ban.
The grey dotted line shows roads with restricted feeder service.
A children's playground is displayed in the lower left corner.

3a.thumb.JPG.7d055e3ec3bf6179db3d7aa355621e3d.JPG3b.thumb.JPG.974364efa01428c7ae1aa6c0849c0c17.JPG

Free-standing trees are displayed.
A bench seat is also visible.
And again: 
roads with restricted feeder service.

4a.thumb.JPG.8b3d57d509af5e81695653c153b66be0.JPG4b.thumb.JPG.ec716bdfaa4d27b1f584ab0bc0b2668d.JPG

The arrows show a one-way street (the very small arrows on the premium maps are nearly invisible).
There are also three parking lots, a church, a playground, a fountain and numerous inscriptions on public buildings.

5a.thumb.JPG.46e524ca7288f2283b8a7f8f99147aba.JPG5b.thumb.JPG.e74fb0e45bed7689d49f15f083a8a206.JPG

Parking lots, a petrol station and other information are also displayed here.

Interestingly, the markings (parking spaces, public buildings, etc.) in urban areas are much better on the old standard maps than on the new premium maps.

On https://www.freizeitkarte-osm.de/android/en/index.html you can still find a lot of information about the maps (design / imprint).

16 minutes ago, Attila_G said:

If needed I can also tell you the coords of this locations.

Yes, I would need coordinates for all of these examples.

17 minutes ago, Attila_G said:

restricted feeder service.

I am not sure what this is?

17 minutes ago, Attila_G said:

Free-standing trees are displayed.
A bench seat is also visible.

These sort of additions would make the offline map database sizes much too large. Image how many thousands of tree objects might be in OSM for a country. We have purposely omitted certain things like this.

18 minutes ago, Attila_G said:

numerous inscriptions on public buildings.

House and buildings numbers are omitted as it is unnecessary data to make the database larger.

Coords (all in Switzerland):
1) N47 22.500 E8 21.115
2) N47 22.200 E8 21.625
3) N47 23.300 E8 22.755
4) N47 23.390 E8 23.260
5) N47 23.470 E8 23.375

Sorry, this is the description vom Freizeitkarte-osm.de:

Roads and paths with restricted access for motor traffic:
- Delivery traffic allowed:Usage is permitted for delivery of goods to the customer only.
- Destination traffic allowed:Usage is permitted if the destination is on this road or path.

In Switzerland, this means that only local residents or delivery services may drive on these roads. For all others there is a driving ban.

You are right: A lot of information are of course not absolutely necessary (e.g. freestanding trees). These are just examples of how much more detailed these maps are. On the other hand, this information can often be a useful source. There are not so many fireplaces or fountains etc. in the forest. 
Much more important are of course the routing information. Are the roads passable or are there restrictions etc.? And of course parking lots or bus stops are also important information.

3 hours ago, Attila_G said:

In Switzerland, this means that only local residents or delivery services may drive on these roads. For all others there is a driving ban.

Thanks. This is something I will be happy to add in a future version.

3 hours ago, Attila_G said:

And of course parking lots or bus stops are also important information.

You are seeing parking lots that are missing? Which coordinates is that at?

8 hours ago, Nic Hubbard said:

You are seeing parking lots that are missing? Which coordinates is that at?

Have a look at the pictures 4 and 5. 
4) N47 23.390 E8 23.260
5) N47 23.470 E8 23.375

And to be honest: I can't see any parking lots at all. So I could name thousands of places. On the old free maps the parking lots are all marked with a blue "P". This sign is missing on the new maps. And please don't tell me that the grey area is supposed to be a parking lot (Fifty Shades of Grey or what...?). Such a pure colouring simply gets completely lost. I can't spot a parking garage like that either.

Here is another example between old and new maps:

IMG_8292.thumb.JPG.3f1f2ca4378a5a42e490063c5aca92ba.JPGIMG_8291.thumb.JPG.f1e126850f947edfb4a06f7e5b0fd919.JPG

The waypoint shows a parking garage of the shopping mall (N47 23.214 E8 29.850) while the grey area across the street is a normal building (N47 23.155 E8 29.813). On this section you can also see the three bus stops, which are not shown on the new maps.

Good to have both old and new maps available. In urban areas, the old maps are much superior, while in the forest and off-road the premium maps are more pleasant. Especially because of the elevation lines. But also here a last example:

IMG_8293.thumb.JPG.5d8b640885e7232eee15ab17c7ee45ef.JPGIMG_8294.thumb.JPG.0dfd016671b3efa3b8c6584eaeb54e02.JPG

A quick look at the old map shows me that there is a forest house and a parking lot. On the premium map I have no idea what it should be exactly. The Freizeitkarte-osm.de would also show a fountain with drinking water at this site.

Please don't take this the wrong way. I like the premium maps because they are clear and show good elevation lines. They just aren't as premium as they could be on closer inspection. 

12 hours ago, Attila_G said:

This sign is missing on the new maps.

New maps use an icon of a car for parking as well as filling the space with color. Do you have a specific location where you see parking lots missing? I have never seen missing parking lots.

On this section you can also see the three bus stops, which are not shown on the new maps.

You must have some map layers turned off such as Points of Interest. Check your Settings and make sure that is turned on. It is on by default:

Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone Xʀ - 2019-05-23 at 12.05.14.png

A quick look at the old map shows me that there is a forest house and a parking lot. On the premium map I have no idea what it should be exactly. The Freizeitkarte-osm.de would also show a fountain with drinking water at this site.

Please make sure to turn on the Points of Interest layer, so it shows the data you are missing:

Simulator Screen Shot - iPhone Xʀ - 2019-05-23 at 12.14.06.png