Offline map questions

barefootguru

Having trouble getting my head around offline maps, plus I suspect there's a bug where some tiles aren't displayed at some zoom levels… but questions for now:

1. which provider is used for offline maps?  OSM?
  2. how does Cachly decide to download the Standard or Satellite maps?
  3. what zoom levels are downloaded?
  4. is there a way to view/delete the batches of map downloads?
  5. in normal operation, how much caching does Cachly do of tiles when online?  i.e. what's the chance of it remembering tiles I've looked at if I lose reception, or saving cellular data.

Thanks for your time.

11 minutes ago, barefootguru said:

which provider is used for offline maps?  OSM?

Yes, OSM.

12 minutes ago, barefootguru said:

how does Cachly decide to download the Standard or Satellite maps?

OSM are Standard Maps only. There are no satellite maps offered for offline use.

12 minutes ago, barefootguru said:

what zoom levels are downloaded?

Up to level 17. Although sometimes our tile provider doesn't have level 17 available, and will only build those tiles when requested. Which, does not help users. This is why we are moving to OSM offline vector maps in 2.0.

13 minutes ago, barefootguru said:

is there a way to view/delete the batches of map downloads?

In Settings you can clear the tile cache, but it will delete all tiles.

14 minutes ago, barefootguru said:

in normal operation, how much caching does Cachly do of tiles when online?  i.e. what's the chance of it remembering tiles I've looked at if I lose reception, or saving cellular data.

Cachly does not do any tile caching other than what iOS naturally does, which we do not know the threshold of.

Thanks and looking forward to V2!

2. Satellite:  yeah, seemed unlikely given licensing.  But on the Caches tab, tap the map icon, and on the Map Types screen under 'Offline Maps' is Standard and Satellite?

5. do you use the OS even for OSM?  I'm used to running MotionX-GPS which does it internally (and has settings for caching and downloading).

2 minutes ago, barefootguru said:

2. Satellite:  yeah, seemed unlikely given licensing.  But on the Caches tab, tap the map icon, and on the Map Types screen under 'Offline Maps' is Standard and Satellite?

That is because MapQuest used to provide free Satellite tiles which were integrated into Cachly. But they shut down this service this summer. So, this option just allows those users who still have the MapQuest Satellite tiles on their devices to still use them.

2 minutes ago, barefootguru said:

5. do you use the OS even for OSM?  I'm used to running MotionX-GPS which does it internally (and has settings for caching and downloading).

Yes. All map tiles are rendered onto the standard MKMapView in iOS.