show waypoints on main map screen

geo-knot

Question

On the screen when you are looking at the main map to choose which cache to find next...

It would be cool if when you click on a cache and the information pops up about the cache, any additional waypoints for the cache would also pop up on the map.  That way if there are parking coords, or other important locations, you know about it right away rather than when you navigate to the cache.  I realize this won't guarantee that the waypoints won't be hidden by the info pop-up.

7 answers to this question

Recently came from Looking4Cache Pro so am a new'ish user of Cachly, being particularly drawn to change by the excellant mapping in v5 ... but a few features from L4C would make Cachly so much better.

At present on the map you cannot display the waypoints associated with a cache, so for a multi or parking & trail access points it's a real bind having to visit several screens. In L4C the wp's are hidden until you tap on a cache icon, then any it has are displayed without hiding any other caches. You can then immediately tap on the wp you want to navigate to and job is done. Also allows the user to see where all the wp's are located in relation to the published cache co-ords. L4C user created wp's have slightly different icon than those created by the cache owner. To hide the wp's for that cache, just have to tap the screen away from it.

L4C Cache Icon.jpg

L4C WP's show when icon tapped.jpg

I'm also coming from L4C, so I know exactly what PlasmaWave talking about.  It's a nice feature. He is talking about the main (or first) map screen.  Tapping on a cache will also show it's associated waypoints, and from there you can select a waypoint to say....  navigate to it.  It cuts out a bunch of extra steps.  Kinda what I was trying to say initially here. 

If you decide to implement this, you may like to make it so that when you click off the cache, and the call out goes away, the extra waypoints stay on the map until you click a different cache.

4 hours ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Cache Waypoints for the current target cache do show up when navigating, are you not seeing this? Or were you meaning Waypoints of other caches?

Nic, I meant the wp’s associated with the one cache, not other caches.

Just looking further ... yes, I can now see the cache’s associated wp’s do show on the map - provided first you open the cache details screen of the one you are interested in, then tap ‘navigate to’. A lot of steps tbh compared with L4C, where you just tap the cache icon on the map to display the wp’s.

When you tap the cache icon on the L4C map, the pop up window is similar to Cachly BUT also has the ‘navigate to’ symbol, which you tap and you are quickly on your way. This applies to main published icon or any of its waypoints. Again this cuts out the extra Cachly steps, speeding up the process for the user.

On 3/10/2019 at 4:38 PM, PlasmaWave said:

Nic, I meant the wp’s associated with the one cache, not other caches.

Just looking further ... yes, I can now see the cache’s associated wp’s do show on the map - provided first you open the cache details screen of the one you are interested in, then tap ‘navigate to’. A lot of steps tbh compared with L4C, where you just tap the cache icon on the map to display the wp’s.

When you tap the cache icon on the L4C map, the pop up window is similar to Cachly BUT also has the ‘navigate to’ symbol, which you tap and you are quickly on your way. This applies to main published icon or any of its waypoints. Again this cuts out the extra Cachly steps, speeding up the process for the user.

These are just fundamental differences in how the two apps work. 

You can hard press (long press on non-3D touch devices) on the map callout or list view to see extra options. I will add a new option for Navigate on that menu.

Hello.

It will be great to see just WPs associated with a particular cache. Currently, there is no such a view. When I click on "Navigate" button from within a cache's details, it shows all the caches around plus a few red baloons withtout any links to its "parent" cache (when there is a lot of caches around, the view will easily become unreadable). All the red baloons have also no informative value unles you manually click on every single one. Multicaches' views will deserve some changes from usability point of view.

Thank you.