View on Geocaching.com

Twinklekitkat

Recently I was made aware of this feature which I hadn't been using - View on Geocaching.com.  Yesterday I tried to use it but instead of opening Geocaching.com it opened the app.  I wanted to view the page on the web site, not the app.  Any ideas why this doesn't work or how I can make it work?  It also happened when trying to view a trackables information.  I wanted to see who the owner was as well as where/when it originated because Cachly doesn't provide that info.  And one more thing, when a cache owner/placed date is longer than 45 characters it gets cut off at the end with ...   Can a second line be added so all information can be viewed?  Example: GC597B

Just as an aside, these are minor annoyances (to me) that do not in anyway diminish my opinion of this fabulous app.

If it doesn't work on subsequent caches after you did the above, I'm not sure if it's possible now. I have the official app on my iPhone and the web page opens for me and not the app. But it could be that I did it before Groundspeak changed it and it's just persistent from that. Maybe someone else knows a trick. 

If you manage to switch it from the app to the website, future opens always use the website. Since you don't always get the teensy font in the upper right of the app that says geocaching.com or coord.info you are frustrated. To force seeing that click a coord.info link to a cache from an email (use a new cache notification or just mail yourself such a URL). When it opens in the app, you will see coord.info in the upper right corner. Tap that and it opens on the web page and will open on the web page from then on. 

12 minutes ago, rragan said:

If you manage to switch it from the app to the website, future opens always use the website. Since you don't always get the teensy font in the upper right of the app that says geocaching.com or coord.info you are frustrated. To force seeing that click a coord.info link to a cache from an email (use a new cache notification or just mail yourself such a URL). When it opens in the app, you will see coord.info in the upper right corner. Tap that and it opens on the web page and will open on the web page from then on. 

Sorry, but it does not work that way.  It used to but no longer does.  Currently to open a notification from GC.com I can lightly press the link to get the website.  If I hard press the link I will get the app.  At least that is how it is currently working for me.  I no longer get the words in the top right hand corner about opening in gc.com (coord info) if it opened in the app.  I'm fine with that since I know how to open either way from a link in an e-mail.  My issue is using the View on Geocaching.com feature from within Cachly.  I want it to open a browser, not the app and there seems to be no way to make it stop opening the app.

OK, I think I may be able to finish connecting the dots. Cachly's View on Geocaching.com option will match the global iOS behavior for handling geocaching.com or coord.info links. I'm pretty sure when you initially install the Geocaching app, it makes itself the handler of those links because they have the power to do that as owners of those domains (or maybe there's an option right afterward that no one remembers). But I was able to change my preference between Safari or the Geocaching app by long pressing on a hyperlink like @rragan showed in the previous post and then choosing to open in Safari. For me, that option is sticky and iOS uses whatever I last selected globally (including in Cachly when using View on Geocaching.com). Before I started playing around today, my cache links would always open in Safari. After going to an email and then choosing to open in Geocaching app, Cachly started launching the app instead of Safari. And I was able to change it back the same way. Hopefully this works for you, too.

18 hours ago, ACME WildCachers said:

OK, I think I may be able to finish connecting the dots. Cachly's View on Geocaching.com option will match the global iOS behavior for handling geocaching.com or coord.info links. I'm pretty sure when you initially install the Geocaching app, it makes itself the handler of those links because they have the power to do that as owners of those domains (or maybe there's an option right afterward that no one remembers). But I was able to change my preference between Safari or the Geocaching app by long pressing on a hyperlink like @rragan showed in the previous post and then choosing to open in Safari. For me, that option is sticky and iOS uses whatever I last selected globally (including in Cachly when using View on Geocaching.com). Before I started playing around today, my cache links would always open in Safari. After going to an email and then choosing to open in Geocaching app, Cachly started launching the app instead of Safari. And I was able to change it back the same way. Hopefully this works for you, too.

Not trying to be obstinate but I do not get the options shown in the screen shot by @rragan.  Must be iOS version related.  I have an iPhone 7 running iOS 11.4.1 and DO NOT get these options.  I did in previous versions.  I am able to have links in e-mails open in geocaching.com but it is not "sticky".  Cachly always opens the app with no way to change it.  So as not to beat a dead horse I will drop it and just learn to live with it I guess.  @Bolling what version iOS are you running?

3 minutes ago, Twinklekitkat said:

Not trying to be obstinate but I do not get the options shown in the screen shot by @rragan.  Must be iOS version related.  I have an iPhone 7 running iOS 11.4.1 and DO NOT get these options.  I did in previous versions.  I am able to have links in e-mails open in geocaching.com but it is not "sticky".  Cachly always opens the app with no way to change it.  So as not to beat a dead horse I will drop it and just learn to live with it I guess.  @Bolling what version iOS are you running?

For what it's worth, I am running the same version of iOS that you are (though on an iPhone X), so I don't think OS version is the issue. Something else must be going on. Try uninstalling the Geocaching app temporarily. Cachly can't launch it if it's not on your phone. You can reinstall it later, but maybe that will allow you to reset this behavior.