Google Maps in 4.3?

Attila_G

In that case, I can only hope Cachly 5 comes soon. Google Maps (especially the satellite images) are extremely valuable for searching.

Otherwise I would like to point out this article again here:
http://www.cach.ly/support/index.php?/topic/587-offline-opencycle-maps/&do=findComment&comment=4156

There are OSM maps which are much better suited for us geocachers than the standard material. An OSM card with a geocaching-optimized theme is worth its weight in gold!

I don't use Apple maps. The road maps are an absolute disaster in Europe and the satellite maps are also often much worse than those of Google.

Maybe Nic could add a shortcut to simply display the cache / waypoint coordinates on the Google Map App until Cachly 5.0 is ready. Currently you have to copy the coordinates, switch to Google Map App and paste them there again. Troublesome...

If I had known that in advance, I would have stayed with Cachly 4.2.

28 minutes ago, Attila_G said:

Maybe Nic could add a shortcut to simply display the cache / waypoint coordinates on the Google Map App until Cachly 5.0 is ready. Currently you have to copy the coordinates, switch to Google Map App and paste them there again. Troublesome...

When you are on the Navigate to cache screen, tap the ... button and you can open the current target in whatever mapping app you want.

5 hours ago, Attila_G said:

I don't use Apple maps. The road maps are an absolute disaster in Europe and the satellite maps are also often much worse than those of Google.

If I had known that in advance, I would have stayed with Cachly 4.2.

It can be easier than that. From Cache Details tap Navigate to Cache and choose Google Maps (which sounds like what you already do). In sat view you can still zoom in as far as before to help locate the cache - the pin for the cache will be visible. No copy/paste of coordinates. 

Hello, Can you tell us WHY on earth you did not mention on the release note that Google maps would be no longer supported?!

This is a shame because one of the reason why I bought this app was that I could use Google maps. I would have NEVER updated. I'm not happy with Apple maps at all! NO GOOD!

On 6/13/2018 at 9:11 PM, Nic Hubbard said:

When you are on the Navigate to cache screen, tap the ... button and you can open the current target in whatever mapping app you want.

Yes this is better than nothing but still...

3 hours ago, TeamBobina said:

Hello, Can you tell us WHY on earth you did not mention on the release note that Google maps would be no longer supported?!

It unfortunately was a more last minute change because of their recent changes, so it was something we were still figuring out if and how we could support Google Maps in future versions.

Which Google Map did you use the most? Have you looked at our other map types for the time being?

** Just to note if you hadn't read about it above, but Google Maps will return in 5.0.

I used the hybrid Google Maps the most outside of offline maps. You could zoom in closer with those than Apples hybrid. I’ll live but I’m glad they’ll be back in v5.

Can the ability to hide maps I’ll never use be added like Ordinance Survey and Thunderforest?

It would be nice to get a better terrain map in there too.

15 hours ago, wwbd said:

Can the ability to hide maps I’ll never use be added like Ordinance Survey and Thunderforest?

Hmm, haven't had this request before. Will consider it.

15 hours ago, wwbd said:

It would be nice to get a better terrain map in there too.

This will be part of the new Google Maps. :)

I echo what everyone else said. I'm just glad it's coming back in 5. I was worried that similar to when Geocaching had to drop Google Maps or pay lots of money because of the demand the geocaching site was making on the Google servers. I see the comments about the resolution being low. Will Cachly 5 have access to the same quality of Google maps (standard and satellite are what I use the most) or will Cachly too have a step down in quality?

I am glad to see the addition of a good topo map, though I must wonder if it's new or I never scrolled down far enough. I thought I looked for topos in the list earlier, probably not too hard as if I'm caching some place where I care about topos I usually have my Garmin. When I was east of the Mississippi for GW16, I was looking for topos on my phone. My 24K maps on my Garmin are only the west.

Since I've started rambling on about maps in general, I should mention the offline GW area map rocked!! While doing the Giga geo-art I was able to navigate the trails without problem, direct a random couple hiking thr trail, and keep my new Canadian geo-buddy who had no data from getting lost. He was an android user and very sad he had no way to get the cool maps I was using. Thank you!

8 hours ago, rragan said:

I think the comments about low resolution are what you would have seen if Cachly had left Google Maps intact come sometime in July. Google will degrade the resolution to make the ongoing usage unpalatable without changes. 

Source?  I Find it unlike that they'd self inflict damage like that.

On 6/17/2018 at 0:15 AM, Nic Hubbard said:

Hmm, haven't had this request before. Will consider it.

This will be part of the new Google Maps. :)

I second this.  I'm constantly scrolling past the the UK maps on the list that I'll never ever use and I and really wish they'd go to the bottom of the screen or be hide-able.   I'd also be cool with having a "Map Favorite" toggle where I could select my two favorite maps and click between them with a button press rather than having to go back to the long list... really all most of us ever need is a street map and a sat map... and we go back and forth between those two maps.  Currently I'm back and forth between my offline maps and satellite maps.  Once in a full moon I'll select another map to get another perspective but it's not a daily occurrence.

Maybe instead of hiding maps, if there was a list of the last 5 recent used at the top, I'd suspect that is what would get constantly used. You'd only need to scroll down past downloaded/recent if it's a new map you are selecting you haven't recently selected.

I'd prefer a recent section considered vs hiding sections.

14 hours ago, HikingSeal said:

Will Cachly 5 have access to the same quality of Google maps (standard and satellite are what I use the most) or will Cachly too have a step down in quality?

v 5.0 maps will be better in every way. They will use the Google Maps SDK which means vector rendering and larger labels that will adapt for accessibility on iOS.

14 minutes ago, Team DEMP said:

Maybe instead of hiding maps, if there was a list of the last 5 recent used at the top, I'd suspect that is what would get constantly used. You'd only need to scroll down past downloaded/recent if it's a new map you are selecting you haven't recently selected.

I'd prefer a recent section considered vs hiding sections.

I would prefer to hide the unnecessary maps or better: a reorder function!

Showing the last 5 recent used maps changes the order each time. A fixed order makes it easier.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/19/2018 at 10:18 AM, Nic Hubbard said:

https://developers.google.com/maps/billing/important-updates. "Keyless usage will result in a degraded experience, or an error."

Can you add the option to add our own Google Maps API key? I have my own API key because I use it with GSAK. If I could add it to Cachly, then you would potentially run into fewer issues with licensing.

13 minutes ago, BigChiefS4 said:

Can you add the option to add our own Google Maps API key? I have my own API key because I use it with GSAK. If I could add it to Cachly, then you would potentially run into fewer issues with licensing.

No. Google Maps in Cachly has to be completely rebuilt in all map screens. It is a huge undertaking and won't be ready until 5.0.