Fetching Pictures From Cache Logs

Thot

Me again.

On the options associated with the upper right set of three dots, there's an entry titled Download Cache Images.  I assumed that meant it would fetch the images associated with the caches in the list.  I clicked it.  It ground away for 2-3 minutes and quit.  I can find no images in the caches in my offline list.

5 minutes ago, Thot said:

It ground away for 2-3 minutes and quit.

What do you mean by this?

What version of Cachly are you using?

6 minutes ago, Thot said:

I assumed that meant it would fetch the images associated with the caches in the list.

Cache images would only be downloaded if your offline caches have log data in them, which normally means a full cache download. If they don't, you can do an Update All Caches option and choose Full, then download cache images after that.

17 hours ago, Nic Hubbard said:

What do you mean by this?

There was a red arrow on the bottom right.  It remained for about 2-3 minutes.

What version of Cachly are you using?

4.2.1(1)

Cache images would only be downloaded if your offline caches have log data in them, which normally means a full cache download.

I export the GPX out of GSAK and it contains logs. 

17 minutes ago, Thot said:

There was a red arrow on the bottom right.  It remained for about 2-3 minutes.

Image downloads were happening in the background.

17 minutes ago, Thot said:

I export the GPX out of GSAK and it contains logs.

It contained logs, but did it include log images? These are different.

When importing you should see a count of how many images (image info, not downloaded) are being added.

44 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

It contained logs, but did it include log images? These are different.

That seems to mean my logs already have to have the images in order to get the images from the website.  It can't mean that because if you already have them you don't need to fetch them. ???

Just now, Thot said:

That seems to mean my logs already have to have the images in order to get the images from the website.  It can't mean that because if you already have them you don't need to fetch them. ???

Your logs might have image info such as image name and image URL. This does not mean the image itself has been downloaded. Cachly will save that image info and is used for the option in Offline to download all cache images.

If your caches do not have any log images you can individually fetch images from the API for that cache. This would download ALL images for that cache rather than just the ones in the few logs from your GPX.

19 hours ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Your logs might have image info such as image name and image URL. This does not mean the image itself has been downloaded. Cachly will save that image info and is used for the option in Offline to download all cache images.

I've never seen that kind of information in logs in GPXs created by GSAK.  Maybe I need to look for a setting. 

If your caches do not have any log images you can individually fetch images from the API for that cache. This would download ALL images for that cache rather than just the ones in the few logs from your GPX.

I'm sorry I don't understand what that means.  Does Cachly have a way to download images for individual caches?  How?

I will be leaving in 30 minutes for a half day of caching.  I'll be back at about 3:30 central time

1 minute ago, Thot said:

I'm sorry I don't understand what that means.  Does Cachly have a way to download images for individual caches?  How?

Yes. View the cache details then browse to the photos. Tap the ... button on the top right then choose to download all images.

I hate to be dense but I tried to follow your instructions and failed.

I selected a cache I know has pictures.  On the resulting screen, among the possible actions only Images was grayed out.

5ac69556975dc_Photo-Apr-05-10-27-45-AM.jpg.2b3aca574098e4ef80290ea48ecaa781.jpg

When I clicked on the dots in the top right of the above screen, I got the following screen and there's nothing about pictures:

5ac695ea8be34_Photo-Apr-05-10-31-31-AM.jpg.4f068205d3ccec87c17f6a2b4a6d0458.jpg

1 minute ago, Thot said:

On the resulting screen, among the possible actions only Images was grayed out.

It is greyed out since there are none downloaded and no data available. You can still tap it. (Will fix this so it isn't greyed out).

When on the images screen tap the ... for the image download option.

5 minutes ago, Thot said:

Well, well, that worked.   Thanks very much.

Now as I understand it, to get all pictures in one swellfoop I must somehow get picture links into my GSAK gpx files, right?

If you are brining in a GPX file, yes.

I am not a GSAK user so I am not sure how others do it, but I have seen it in almost all the GSAK GPX files I see.