Learning Issues

Thot

1)  Is there anywhere I can find a tutorial on Cachly?

I've had it for a few months but haven't tried to use it but about 3 times.  Some issues I'm struggling with now are:

a)  When I start it the screen is filled with smileys (found caches).  How do I tell it to turn off found caches and puzzles?

B) How do I import a GPX file from my computer?  
Then, can I tell Cachly to fetch and store the pictures associated with the caches in the GPX file?

c) Later how do I delete this GPX file?

That's enough for now,  but I'm sure I'll be back with more.

1 - Give the following a try and see if it helps - http://www.cach.ly/help/index.php/Getting_Started_with_Cachly

a - See http://www.cach.ly/help/index.php/Live_Usage#Search_Options and http://www.cach.ly/help/index.php/Search_Options

b - Might want to know a bit more. There are different ways to get an offline list of caches on Cachly. How are you creating the GPX on your computer? What is the source creating the GPX?

c - swipe the offline list to the left and it will show delete

45 minutes ago, Team DEMP said:

1 - Give the following a try and see if it helps - http://www.cach.ly/help/index.php/Getting_Started_with_Cachly

Thanks for your reply.  That's too elementary.  I knew all that, but it's about all I knew.

Okay, that got rid of my finds which cleaned up the screen a lot. Thanks.  But, it didn't  indicate there was a way to eliminate puzzle caches.   I did see there was a way to mark caches to ignore.  How is that done, and it is remembered from session to session?

b - Might want to know a bit more. There are different ways to get an offline list of caches on Cachly. How are you creating the GPX on your computer? What is the source creating the GPX?

I create the GPX files using GSAK.

Sorry about the messy reply.  I'm not use to this Forum style.

On the same gear icon where you disabled display your previous finds, you can scroll down to the bottom of that screen and deselect Puzzle caches. All the cache types are listed at the bottom of the Search Options screen. 

For a GSAK GPX, you can mail it to yourself or if you use Dropbox, place it there.  If you use Dropbox, under the More screen (bottom right of the main screen) there's an option to Import from Dropbox. 

If you use email, open your email program on the iphone, select the GPX (.gpx or .zip) and then click the Share icon which will allow you to select Cachly. 

14 hours ago, Team DEMP said:

For a GSAK GPX, you can mail it to yourself or if you use Dropbox, place it there.  If you use Dropbox, under the More screen (bottom right of the main screen) there's an option to Import from Dropbox.

Thanks for your reply.

I  have the Dropbox app, so I chose to use it. 

After I tapped Import from Dropbox and chose the file, I got this screen that doesn't seem to let me do anything:

Photo Apr 01, 10 21 52 AM.png

Photo Apr 01, 10 21 52 AM.png

What have you done on the screenshot you pasted? 

After you select the GPX/ZIP from Dropbox, you seen the screenshot you posted. You now need to click into Choose offline list select an existing offline list or click + in the top right and create a new offline list. Then on the screenshot above enable Save Images if you want. Import will be enabled in the top right after you select a list to import the caches into.

Then to see the import caches, at the bottom of Cachly, select Offline and then the list you import them into and hopefully you see what you'd expect. 

1 hour ago, Team DEMP said:

What have you done on the screenshot you pasted?

I wanted to upload another version of the screenshot, and found this forum editor apparently doesn't let you delete an image you have uploaded, or I couldn't figure out how.

Then to see the import caches, at the bottom of Cachly, select Offline and then the list you import them into and hopefully you see what you'd expect. 

The cache import seem's to have worked, but . . .

1) It choked on 195 of 260 photos and froze.  I wasn't aware GSAK imported images and it appears they are only the images in the descriptions, not the images in logs.

2) It seems random which caches it will return in a search, some it does, others it doesn't. 

Might help, if you able, to upload the GPX and others can test. Not sure what you are searching on and not finding. 

You can also, after loading the GPX into an offline list, within Cachly, update the caches that were loaded and it will pull in the regular data from geocaching.com, in case it is different from the GPX exported from GSAK. 

I loaded the 559 caches in the GPX. 

Search for: Curse of the
shows 30 caches

Search for: BB's (
shows 51 caches

Search for: BB's (1)
shows 6 caches

Search for: BB's (1) "
shows 1 cache

Your exact search for: Bb's (1) "curse
shows 1 cache

So I show a cache always returned. I'm running a beta version but I'm not sure that was an issue that was addressed. I can test later at home on another device that is running the public version to check. If you haven't yet tried, select a different offline list or close Cachly and restart and see if something gets reset. 

You are an exceptionally helpful person.

I hadn't updated the app for 6 months or so.  I updated it just now and there's no change.  I had closed and restarted it earlier.  I'm not sure what you mean buy a different offline list.  this is the only one I have and thrashing around in another to try to find searches that don't work is a little onerous.  I stumbled on this one and I did I hunted for others that didn't work.  I'm in my 80s with tremor so trying to do stuff on these iThings is a pain.

Not a problem and there are plenty more folks here to help.  Maybe my patience comes from remotely helping my parents & in-laws since the 80s, though I normally have a lot more patience for folks that aren't my family!

My suggestion selecting a different list was to just have the app open something and then re-read the list that was downloaded. 

It might be an option to delete the offline list you recently created and re-import the GPX from Dropbox. You can delete the offline list by selecting the Offline icon at the bottom of the screen and then next to your list, select the three dots ( ... ) and then select delete. Then go thru the steps you did earlier. Maybe this attempt, don't download the images when you do the Dropbox import and see  how things end up. 

I've deleted and reloaded the GPX but I included the pictures.  I'll try it again without.

By the way, the more I fool with this the more it looks like the problem is with special characters ( * etc.  If I search for series I get the goatman series. 

I think your problem is that you copied the search text from someplace like MS Word that uses Smart Quotes. Look carefully at your screenshot and you can see the apostrophe and quote both slant to the left. Compare that with these characters in the cache titles. A smart quote will not match a plain quote. Try using plain quotes and apostrophes when searching.