PQ and cache notes.

buti-oxa

Question

Sometimes I cache with GPSr and iPod, sometimes I have iPhone, sometimes I have iPhone that does not get Internet. The point is, I try not to rely on getting information from the web when in the field. So, I would usually create a PQ for the area of my hike, and download that to my GPSr and Cachly.

The problem is, none of the two has cache notes where I store important information while preparing for the hunt. GPSr simply does not have a field for this. Cachly does, and I see cache notes populated when I pull the cache information from the web "live", but nothing is there when I download a PQ. I guess it happens because Cachly "gets" the same .gpx file that is designed for GPSr and XML there does not have the field.

I am not sure how I would solve the problem. One approach is to issue additional query for each cache in PQ when creating an offline copy of a PQ. Another is to make user to press a separate "Update Query" button that revisits caches in query and updates all fields, including the cache notes.

5 answers to this question

I got version 2.0(15), and cache notes in downloaded PQ work as promised. Thanks.

Follow up feedback/question on the PQ interface: I mentally stumble each time I got into my PQ list. I know by now that the only action is tap and it downloads the PQ, but it keeps "surprising" me. It does not help that tapping second time created downloads another copy (although it makes sense - you cannot be sure it's the same PQ). It also does not help that now the process of download is by necessity longer. Unfortunately, I do not have a suggestion on how to make it better...

I also do not understand yet the connection between lists and PQs. I did not have any lists yesterday. Today, I have one. It corresponds to a offline PQ I left on the device overnight. Do offline PQs become lists after a while? On an action I did not notice I take? Is it correct that cachly list, geocaching.com list (first item in Your Profile / Quick View) and list in Map/List choice have nothing to do with each other?

5 hours ago, buti-oxa said:

Follow up feedback/question on the PQ interface: I mentally stumble each time I got into my PQ list. I know by now that the only action is tap and it downloads the PQ, but it keeps "surprising" me. It does not help that tapping second time created downloads another copy (although it makes sense - you cannot be sure it's the same PQ). It also does not help that now the process of download is by necessity longer. Unfortunately, I do not have a suggestion on how to make it better...

I agree. I am going to be rebuilding the PQ section to integrate it into Lists.

5 hours ago, buti-oxa said:

I also do not understand yet the connection between lists and PQs. I did not have any lists yesterday. Today, I have one. It corresponds to a offline PQ I left on the device overnight. Do offline PQs become lists after a while? On an action I did not notice I take? Is it correct that cachly list, geocaching.com list (first item in Your Profile / Quick View) and list in Map/List choice have nothing to do with each other?

There shouldn't be a connection. In the next beta PQs will download directly into Lists, and you will be able to save the PQs into an already created list.