Cachly 4 crashes updating list

barefootguru

Since upgrading to Cachly 4, it crashes when updating one of my offline lists:  around 2000 caches, doing a full update of all caches.  Cachly takes about the right amount of time, then crashes.

Could only find Cachly.cpu_resource logs in Analytics, not a crash… hmm, unless iOS quit Cachly because of the CPU usage?

iPhone SE, iOS 11.2.5

Should it start with Cachly?  The only ones I can see are Cachly.cpu_resource… I've just e-mailed the latest of those.  The timestamp looks around the start of the update rather than when Cachly crashed though.

BTW it's actually significantly slower now:  I wasn't timing but it's gone from 5-10 mins to 30-40 (before it crashes).

Crashing for me too on a large offline list. I will send the crash logs. It does not happen every time.

I just did an update of an offline list with 992 caches. Closed all other apps first in case it is a memory problem. It took 19 minutes to run with the "Waiting for ?? seconds to make more network requests" message coming up once. It did not crash.

I was my understanding that the "Waiting..." message should not come up in a single update of a list with 1 000 caches.

9 hours ago, ChrisDen said:

Crashing for me too on a large offline list. I will send the crash logs. It does not happen every time.

Yes, please send if you have them.

9 hours ago, ChrisDen said:

I was my understanding that the "Waiting..." message should not come up in a single update of a list with 1 000 caches.

No, this isn't true. That message is shown if you have exceeded 30 API requests in the last 60 seconds. There are instances where you would have already used some API requests, e.g. loading caches in Live, viewing an individual cache etc. that could have caused it to appear.

1 hour ago, Nic Hubbard said:

No, this isn't true. That message is shown if you have exceeded 30 API requests in the last 60 seconds. There are instances where you would have already used some API requests, e.g. loading caches in Live, viewing an individual cache etc. that could have caused it to appear.

If that was the case would it not come up at the beginning of the download, not 10 minutes into the update?

Crash logs sent

3 hours ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Since Cachly 4, I'm no longer receiving the waiting message when updating (pretty much) the same set of caches — so it's definitely slower :rolleyes:

22 minutes ago, barefootguru said:

Since Cachly 4, I'm no longer receiving the waiting message when updating (pretty much) the same set of caches — so it's definitely slower :rolleyes:

Well, the frustrating thing on my end is that nothing changed for 4.0 in regards to updating/downloading caches. I am trying to figure out if this is a geocaching.com server issue.

22 hours ago, ChrisDen said:

I just did an update of an offline list with 992 caches. Closed all other apps first in case it is a memory problem. It took 19 minutes to run with the "Waiting for ?? seconds to make more network requests" message coming up once. It did not crash.

This is painfully slow.

I am rewriting the entire interface and background downloading for updating caches. This will be in the next beta.

I tested updating 1,000 full caches and got the following:

Basic Update: 3.8 seconds

Full Update: 39.8 seconds

It has been a while since I revisited the old code that is currently downloading/updating caches so it was time for a rewrite. :)

• 3 weeks later...