Text templates are a powerful tool that can greatly simplify your cache logging. The general idea is that you pre-define a log message to use for various kinds of cache logs (Found it, Didn't Find It, ...). Then when you log a cache with that status, the log message is largely already written and you can add to it, modify it, or just send it as is. Let's dive deeper and see how you can use this powerful feature.
Defining Text Templates
You start by changing the More_Tab->Settings->Enable Log Type Templates switch to on so you can use them. Next you define a text template. That is done from the More_Tab->Settings and tap Text Templates. Tap the + in the title to get started. If the template is intended only for trackables, you can tap "Use for Trackables", otherwise it will be for caches.
On this screen you do these three steps:
- give the template a name
- choose the log type it is to be used with (e.g. Found it, Didn't find it...). By selecting a Log Type the message will be automatically pulled into the message field when you create a log for that type.
- enter the template message text
All the log types can have an associated text template. If you do not want the message to be pulled automatically into your log when you create it then do not select a log type. This template will then be available for manual insertion at the time of creating or editing your log via one of the ••• actions on the logging screen
Let's look at a template that is mostly filled out. The name has been entered already and it is to be used for Found It logs. The template text is some sentences and the *|xxxxx|* markers are places where a value is inserted at logging time. This example template includes the date, the time and your current total find count. Available insertion markers can be selected by tapping the key icon.
When you are happy with your template, tap Save to finish up. You will see your template on the Available Templates list. If something is not right, you can swipe left and choose Edit or tap Edit at the bottom of the screen. You can delete one by swiping left or via Edit.
You can select one of your templates to be the default log action when you choose Log this cache. Being an optimist, you choose Found, of course. If you don't want a default log action, just don't tap any of them. The tap toggles the state so you can turn off the default if you happen to have it set.
Note: If you mark a template as your default and it has no associated log type, its text will be inserted as your logging text regardless of the log type you choose.
If you have set up more than one template you can sort them manually by tapping "Edit" at the bottom left of the screen.
Using a Text Template
Now let's use this new template to give you a feel for how they work in practice. I've turned on Enable Log Type Templates in Settings to allow automatic entering of text for defined log types. Now suppose I have found a cache so I tap the Log This Cache on the Cache Details screen. Then I see the below screen to complete the logging.
Notice that the Log Type is automatically set to Found It and the text template for Found It logs has been filled in the message field. If I now tap Send Now at the top, my logging is done. If I want to add something specific into the log message then I can tap the message tab and add, edit or delete.
Of course, you could have your defaults set to Save the log in which case you would see Save Now instead.
For a power trail logging does not get much easier. Tap Log This Cache and tap Send Now or Save Now. All done.
- Default is Found but you didn't find it: Just tap Log Type and switch it to Didn't find it. If you had a text template for that, the text will automatically change right then to reflect that. The same for any other log type.
- You have boilerplate text for your outing like "Caching with user1 today to get a lot of finds." If the current find deserves more messaging, just tap Message and edit the text accordingly.
- You want to log the same message text no matter what the type of find is. Define a text template with that message and mark it as your default text template.
- You want your message to be composed from several partial messages you have predefined. On the logging screen, tap ••• and choose Insert Text Template (or long press and choose Insert Text Template). Then choose from your set of partial messages to add text to the log you are constructing. Repeat until you have constructed the message you want.