Logic around DNFs

diorex

Curios both for search results but especially for offline lists - is there a way to filter for recent DNFs? I love the green and red circles on fresh lives search listings but they can grow stale on offline pretty quick.

I will typically clean my bookmark lists up before creating them, but say a few weeks or months goes by and then I am using an old list my target list does not change dramatically - for instance I am trying to find every cache over 10 years of age near me - sure would love to be able to filter based on last x number of finds to eliminate ones not getting maintained. Say if 2 in a row are DNF or 3 of the last 4 are DNF - I dont want to waste time searching for something that is not there, especially on older caches that typically require more walking and bushwhacking. I went 20 minutes into the woods today chasing a cache that was simply not there and the updated logs clearly indicated this but I did not see them until after I had wasted a bunch of time and hit refresh...

This happens with my offline lists almost daily... I identify a list of caches I want for some reason (favorite points, age, placed date etc), merge them into a bookmark and then throw them into an offline list I will use for a month or two before creating a new one. I am then out and about hitting stuff on that list until I get to a cache and get stumped then I hit refresh and see several consecutive DNFs and think the program could have helped me avoid this cache.

So a couple of thoughts...

1 is it possible to let us set up some filters by recent logs - easy enough to hit refresh all while under wifi then do a filter to delete those from the list that are likely under some distress until they get some maintenance...

2 Along those lines, anytime I open up a cache from an offline list I would love to have it auto-refresh (or the option to do so as I know some dont want to use data) if I have internet. Hints for some reason dont ever get downloaded so I have to hit refresh alot and this would at least warn me with the red circles for DNF logs before I spend time then dont find it so hit refresh... short circuits the whole wasting time looking for something that might not be there...

3 An option for a pop-up when the last log was a DNF - a warning saying this might not be here

On 11/1/2017 at 1:27 PM, diorex said:

1 is it possible to let us set up some filters by recent logs - easy enough to hit refresh all while under wifi then do a filter to delete those from the list that are likely under some distress until they get some maintenance...

This is a good idea. Filter caches with recent DNFs. Will add this to our list.

2 Along those lines, anytime I open up a cache from an offline list I would love to have it auto-refresh (or the option to do so as I know some dont want to use data) if I have internet. Hints for some reason dont ever get downloaded so I have to hit refresh alot and this would at least warn me with the red circles for DNF logs before I spend time then dont find it so hit refresh... short circuits the whole wasting time looking for something that might not be there...

Not too keen on allowing auto refreshing in offline mode. Everything in offline should have no network activity without a user initiated action.

3 An option for a pop-up when the last log was a DNF - a warning saying this might not be here

I wouldn't want a pop-up, but I could see a warning banner working...

• 3 months later...
On 11/2/2017 at 3:59 PM, Nic Hubbard said:

Not too keen on allowing auto refreshing in offline mode. Everything in offline should have no network activity without a user initiated action.

Yes, auto-refresh can be a bad thing when there are corrected coordinates in the original GPX file.  A switch or option to preserve corrected coordinates would be a good idea, I think.  My wife uses Cachly but I create the GPX files with GSAK or BaseCamp (often with solved coordinates) and then import my GPX into her Cachly.  If you run a refresh either on the offline list or an individual cache page, she will lose the corrected coordinates since they were not corrected in her online user account. Sometimes she will run a refresh to get the latest logs, but then lose my corrected coordinates.

On 2/6/2018 at 11:10 AM, Nic Hubbard said:

This is on the list of things to address.

Do you sometimes update the corrected coords on geocaching.com?

Cool.  Yes, I usually update the coordinates on the web site.  I would expect the corrected coordinates to overwrite the coordinates in Cachly in that case.  Or maybe have a dialog for yes/no.  In my wife's case, the GPX I imported from Dropbox would already have the corrected coordinates, so a Refresh overwrites it with the original posted coordinates.

• 1 month later...

On 03/11/2017 at 4:59 AM, Nic Hubbard said:

On 02/11/2017 at 4:27 AM, diorex said:

This is a good idea. Filter caches with recent DNFs. Will add this to our list.

Should also allow other types of logs such as NM, NA, Temp Disable, and reviewer note. Love this concept. 

• 1 month later...

Yes, please I think it would make geocaching more enjoyable for me if I could filter out caches with 2 or more recent DNFs.

I use a Red Wrench PQ to filter out caches with NM/NA/TD but I think it would also be a nice feature in Cachly.

But if you have to pick one feature to work on first, please pick filtering DNFs. :)

On 2/6/2018 at 9:10 AM, Nic Hubbard said:

This is on the list of things to address.

Do you sometimes update the corrected coords on geocaching.com?

Not having CCs on geocaching.com has been my bugaboo lately. Several of us are planning a road trip around the Giga and various people are doing different parts. I end up getting an exported GPX to merge with the larger plan. Typically it has CCs with GSAK style representation. They look correct when imported but if I ever forget and do an update, they vanish. Having them on geocaching.com in my account means they don't vanish accidentally and they are accessible to other tools like cachetur.no. A cachly option to push GSAK style CCs from an offline list to geocaching.com would make this much easier. Tthere are other ways to do this: run GSAK (not a great option for Mac users but now run Mac + PC as a consequence), put CCs in cache note and have cachetur.no parse cache notes for coordinates and it can push them to geocaching.com. Doing this from Cachly would reduce the tool surfaces one needs to pull this off. 

I guess the priority is lower as the majority of Cachly users probably don't do the multi-person road trip but the heavy hitters do.