Where does Cache Note come from?

barefootguru

Hi, I've been reluctant to use the personal cache notes on geocaching.com because there doesn't seem to be a way to back them up… but it looks like I can utilise Cachly for that :)

If I examine a PQ or My Finds by hand, the cache note doesn't appear to be present in the file.

But when I import a PQ or My Finds into Cachly, the note appears to be saved in the offline database.

When importing, is Cachly making an extra query to geocaching.com to pick up the cache note?

I use Cache Notes extensively as info before I hunt for a cache and if it's meaningful I update the Cage Note with a reminder to myself on the cache that was found should someone else ask me about it.  Project-GC displays an indicator for a cache that has a Cache Note associated to it. 

A GPX export of a cache with a Cache Note from the geocaching.com cache page doesn't include the Cache Note which seems an oversight (aka bug) to me. 

I do wish GC would allow image upload(s) to be associated with a cache note and not a log, but that's a different desire I don't see GC getting worked on any time soon.

1 hour ago, barefootguru said:

I've been reluctant to use the personal cache notes on geocaching.com because there doesn't seem to be a way to back them up… but it looks like I can utilise Cachly for that 

Notes are always saved on geocaching.com's server, so they are backed up. :)

If I examine a PQ or My Finds by hand, the cache note doesn't appear to be present in the file.

The GPX spec for Pocket Queries does not have Notes data. However, I wouldn't ever use the GPX file for a PQ, instead use the Pocket Queries option in Cachly to download them as they will return full cache data, including notes.

When importing, is Cachly making an extra query to geocaching.com to pick up the cache note?

No, there are no API calls to fetch the cache notes. If you refresh your caches they are returned from the API and saved in Cachly.

Thanks guys.  @Nic I'm always careful with the cloud, and GS slightly more than the others :huh:  So I'm wanting a way to backup the Personal Cache Notes I've created — whether they were created within Cachly or on the site.

I do download PQs from within Cachly, so thanks for confirming that will backup my notes for unfound caches, as they're covered in my existing PQs.

Sounds like I can't use the builtin My Finds PQ GPX download to backup notes for caches I've found though… I'll have to write my own PQs?

On 10/6/2017 at 2:21 PM, barefootguru said:

Sounds like I can't use the builtin My Finds PQ GPX download to backup notes for caches I've found though… I'll have to write my own PQs?

The API doesn't provide a way to bring the my finds PQ into Cachly, but you can import the GPX from geocaching.com then use the Update caches option to download more info including the personal note.