Geosphere import and Corrected Coords

rragan

This is not specifically Cachly's problem but it confused me greatly. Here is the story. 

Geosphere shows corrected coordinates but never uploaded them to the website because the API likely didn't support it then. I'm trying to move my solved puzzles with CCs to Cachly and then push the CC to the website for more permanence. 

I do the export/ import and Cachly shows the CC icon and the corrected coordinate value. The only Waypoints shown is one for the original location and nothing for the CC. Updating from the site changes nothing. If I add a Waypoint for CC, then the website gets the data finally 

As best I can see from the GPX the wpt tag has the CC value and the gsak:LatBeforeCorrect tag has the original Lat  coordinate and similarly for Longitude  I think these "Before" tags populate the Original Coordinate Waypoint in Cachly. I guess the prescence of these also trigger the red triangle display even though there is no CC Waypoint explicitly. 

<wpt lat="37.553917" lon="-122.094833">
<time>2011-01-08T08:00:00Z</time>
<name>GC2M72Q</name>
<desc>Programming Challenge Puzzle Series: Level 4 by mokelly, Unknown Cache (3/3)</desc>
<url>http://coord.info/GC2M72Q</url>
<urlname>Programming Challenge Puzzle Series: Level 4</urlname>
<sym>Geocache Found</sym>
<type>Geocache|Unknown Cache</type>
<gsak:wptExtension xmlns:gsak="http://www.gsak.net/xmlv1/5">
<gsak:UserFlag>true</gsak:UserFlag>
<gsak:DNF>false</gsak:DNF>
<gsak:LatBeforeCorrect>37.55365</gsak:LatBeforeCorrect>
<gsak:LonBeforeCorrect>-122.080566</gsak:LonBeforeCorrect>
<gsak:LastGpxDate>2017-08-04</gsak:LastGpxDate>
<gsak:Code>GC2M72Q</gsak:Code>
<gsak:IsPremium>false</gsak:IsPremium>
<gsak:FavPoints>9</gsak:FavPoints>
<gsak:GcNote>N 37 33.235 W 122 05.69

Having the CC data only local to the Cachly DB propagates the failings of Geosphere and retains the risk of losing puzzle solutions if the local DB gets lost. It's not really Cachly's problem and I'm willing to plow through all 300+ solved puzzles and make them have true corrected coords on the website. Just wondering how many others may have this issue and not realize it and whether there is any easy fix to make the website reflect what Cachly shows? The little red triangle makes you think all is well when it may not be. 

6 minutes ago, rragan said:

Just wondering how many others may have this issue and not realize it and whether there is any easy fix to make the website reflect what Cachly shows? The little red triangle makes you think all is well when it may not be. 

You are correct in that when you import a GPX like this Cachly will mark it as a corrected coordinate in the DB, but it is not added to geocaching.com.

There is not currently a way to update all of these on geocaching.com as well, but I almost remember there being a feature that does this in GSAK? I don't have it booted up right now so I can't check...

I've installed GSAK inside Virtual Box (free) as I have a Mac — it's a powerful program, but you do need a reasonable level of geekiness to use it.  It runs fine in trial mode if you want/can take that path.

For 300 caches it's probably just as quick to do them manually, though I've found GSAK invaluable for checking the odd challenge cache.

Yeh, I keep putting off using GSAK. I could easily put a VM on the Mac or boot to the Windows partition lying there. I don't foresee any issues figuring out GSAK -- my geek cred is strong. Thanks. Maybe I'll go that route vs writing some node JS code to push them via the web.