Nubie Questions

Thot

1)  Click the Offline icon at the bottom of screen. Your GPX file should appear listed. Select it and they wil appear on a map. (Note: you can use live or offline maps)

3) If yo are meaning int the Live environment, You need to hit the Refresh button in the upper right corner of the screen (semi circle with an arrowhead). This will load 50 caches .  Note: If you want to accumulate caches from each refresh, make sure More > Settings > Clear Map on Refresh is set to OFF.

For the FAQ, there is built in Help under the More tab. 

13 hours ago, MrGigabyte said:

1)  Click the Offline icon at the bottom of screen. Your GPX file should appear listed. Select it and they wil appear on a map. (Note: you can use live or offline maps)

I had tried that.  I get a blank screen saying "no lists were found?  But iTunes shows the GPX file transfered -- see screen capture.

13 hours ago, MrGigabyte said:

3) If yo are meaning int the Live environment, You need to hit the Refresh button in the upper right corner of the screen (semi circle with an arrowhead). This will load 50 caches .  Note: If you want to accumulate caches from each refresh, make sure More > Settings > Clear Map on Refresh is set to OFF.

Houston has over 10,000 caches, yet as you can see the map screen capture shows none.

Untitled-1.jpg

IMG_0078.jpg

How did you add the GPX file? Cachly needs to run its import process to put the GPX info into its database. GPX files can be imported from email. Dropbox, bookmark lists, inter-app transfer using the Send icon (rectangle with arrow exiting the top), AirDrop from another phone/pad or Mac and probably some other ways I forgot.  I don't think you can drop them in via iTunes to Cachly's file space. 

If you are migrating from Geosphere, it supported importing a GPX file via iTunes. To my knowledge, Cachly does not yet have such a mechanism but it should probably go on the wanted feature list  

Also, the screen capture shows the Live view and would not reflect your GPX import. That would be chosen from a named list on the Offline tab.  The appearance of only 3 caches makes me suspect you are not a premium member. Geocaching.com restricts non-premium members to 3 caches per day via the Live mechanism. I recreated your map view and hit the refresh arrow and got 50 caches. See screen capture. 

IMG_1838.PNG

4 hours ago, rragan said:

If you are migrating from Geosphere, it supported importing a GPX file via iTunes. To my knowledge, Cachly does not yet have such a mechanism but it should probably go on the wanted feature list  

I think it does.  In the "more" menu is "Import from iTunes."  It's right below the "Import from Dropbox" option. 

sA

As you suspected I used iTunes.  Nothing indicates that doesn't work and it appears to work.  In my opinion if it doesn't work it shouldn't appear to work.  I've used two other caching apps and both allowed adding files this way.  If I use email (which adds to my cell data use) how does Cachly know to extract the file from the email?

Also, the screen capture shows the Live view and would not reflect your GPX import. That would be chosen from a named list on the Offline tab.  The appearance of only 3 caches makes me suspect you are not a premium member. Geocaching.com restricts non-premium members to 3 caches per day via the Live mechanism. I recreated your map view and hit the refresh arrow and got 50 caches. See screen capture. 

IMG_1838.PNG

I understood it was the live view, I was trying to see how it works. As I said, when I go to the Offline screen it says "no lists were found."  A you can see I get no Houston caches in live view, but the thing is useless if you can only get 50 caches spread across all of Houston's 10000 anyway.  I am, and have been, a premium member for 13 years.

28 minutes ago, hidegoseek said:

I think it does.  In the "more" menu is "Import from iTunes."  It's right below the "Import from Dropbox" option. 

Thanks.  I didn't realize it was necessary to do an independent import action after the transfer.  From your post I was able to find the import action and now my GPX file seems to be working correctly. 

48 minutes ago, Thot said:

but the thing is useless if you can only get 50 caches spread across all of Houston's 10000 anyway. 

As I previously indicated,:If you want to accumulate caches from each refresh, make sure More > Settings > Clear Map on Refresh is set to OFF.  This will give you 50, 100, 150, 200, 250... etc. 

31 minutes ago, MrGigabyte said:

As I previously indicated,:If you want to accumulate caches from each refresh, make sure More > Settings > Clear Map on Refresh is set to OFF.  This will give you 50, 100, 150, 200, 250... etc. 

Based on your comment I had Clear Map on Refresh turned off when I made the screen capture above.  I don't get 50 caches (maybe for all of Texas) but if they are spread out over forty miles they aren't useful to me anyway.  I'm not sure this matter much to my intended way of using the app. I expect to add GPX files with the caches I intend to hunt, but since I just got the GPX feature working, I haven't figured out how bring up a cache on list from GC.com yet -- that is live data.

36 minutes ago, Bolling said:

@Thot. On the Live Map have you checked the filters that are set? Perhaps you are filtering by Difficulty and Terrain as an example. I suggest you "reset" the filters and start there and then reapply filters as needed. 

I am filtering by difficulty and terrain.  I'm limiting each to less than 3.5 for now.

Is it true you can only get caches placed within the last 30 days?  That shouldn't be causing me to get no local caches but it seems like a severe restriction.

If I need to start a new topic to add a new question tell me.

I haven't figured out how to show a cache from the offline GPX on the GC website.  A likely way I'll use this app is to locate a cache in the offline list and got to it on GC to see all the logs (including the latest) and view log images if I'm having trouble finding it.

11 minutes ago, Thot said:

I am filtering by difficulty and terrain.  I'm limiting each to less than 3.5 for now.

Is it true you can only get caches placed within the last 30 days?  That shouldn't be causing me to get no local caches but it seems like a severe restriction.

No, there is no 30 day restriction. Where did you hear that?

4 minutes ago, Bolling said:

No, there is no 30 day restriction. Where did you hear that?

In what I think you are calling filters is a cache published Start Date and an End Date.  The default is today.  When I try to set that greater than 30 days I get and error.

3 minutes ago, Thot said:

If I need to start a new topic to add a new question tell me.

I haven't figured out how to show a cache from the offline GPX on the GC website.  A likely way I'll use this app is to locate a cache in the offline list and got to it on GC to see all the logs (including the latest) and view log images if I'm having trouble finding it.

You can't import GPX to the website. Since you are a Premium member four 13 years though I probably misunderstood your question. 

8 minutes ago, Bolling said:

You can't import GPX to the website. Since you are a Premium member four 13 years though I probably misunderstood your question. 

Yes, explaining some of these things can be difficult, sorry.  I don't want to import it into the app I want to view it on GC in real time/live.

4 minutes ago, Thot said:

Yes, explaining some of these things can be difficult, sorry.  I don't want to import it into the app I want to view it on GC in real time.

At the top of an Offline cache in Cachly is a three dot menu. If you click it you have the option to view the cache on the website. 

IMG_0625.thumb.PNG.544c1d21745acfc286a370d7c61b02db.PNG

It's that what you are looking for?

1 minute ago, Bolling said:

At the top of an Offline cache in Cachly is a three dot menu. If you click it you have the option to view the cache on the website. 

It's that what you are looking for?

Maybe.  I don't want to just go to GC, I want to got directly to the chosen cache.

1 hour ago, Thot said:

I don't get the options you get.  I only get three options:  Update Caches, Download Cache Images and Export GPX (and of course Cancel)

That is because you are either on the Map view or the list view. If you select a specific cache (from either the list or the map) you will see the options Bolling described. 

Also,  if you are still only getting 3 caches, yo need to Reset your filters. Something is set incorrectly. Normally, if you want to see ALL caches, you do not want any filters set.  Click Live, then tap the gear icon in the the search bar. Hit Reset in the upper left. Now you may want to turn on The Exclude my Finds, Hides and Ignored. Leave everything else untouched. Hit Done. Now hit the Refresh button and keep hitting it until you have as many caches as you want for that area. Remember, you need to have the Clear Map on Refresh setting turned off, otherwise every map refresh wil wipe out the previously loaded caches.  

19 minutes ago, Thot said:

To whom it may concern:

As luck would have the day I installed Cachly the live view wasn't working right, that's why I wasn't getting nearby caches.  Everything's working right today

Did you have some Search Options turned on? This is done by tapping the gear icon in the search field.