Bug in showing nearby caches with corrected coordinates

Brandorff

I am using the corrected coordinates feature on geocaching.com and enjoy the feature that they are displayed with at special icon on the map in Cachly.

Unfortunately when I display the nearest 50 caches the search displays the nearest 50 caches based on their original coordinates - not the coordinates I have corrected.

Example: A mystery cache with coordinates 2.5 km from my home is not displayed on the map even though I have corrected the coordinates to be only 200 m from my home.

Another cache with corrected coordinates 3.5 km from my home is displayed on the map as it has original coordinates only 500 m from home

cachly version: 3.0.3

iOS version: 10.3.3

iPhone 7

If I recall, the reason is that search results from Geocaching return the closest by original and then after the details of those caches are processed, only then are the corrected coordinates available to Cachly. 

To have this behave differently, Geocaching would need to modify the query on their end to return the search results sorted by corrected coordinates.

On 8/12/2017 at 4:06 AM, Team DEMP said:

If I recall, the reason is that search results from Geocaching return the closest by original and then after the details of those caches are processed, only then are the corrected coordinates available to Cachly. 

To have this behave differently, Geocaching would need to modify the query on their end to return the search results sorted by corrected coordinates.

Yes, this is correct. :)

On 8/13/2017 at 1:52 AM, rragan said:

You could probably work around this by doing a 2.5 km radius search on the web site and save all the results to a list and then import the list to Cachly. 

Nice idea, but it's 3.2 kilometres (2 miles), and that rule's only been in place since around 2006… so earlier original vs. corrected coords could have a much larger gap.

Ok, let's brute force it. Find ALL caches with corrected coordinates and load them into Cachly. Now if Nic just had an offline filter by distance, you could extract all of those at a desired distance. 

Now that the web site shows CCs, I'm not sure how the search treats them. It might find them at the true location.