New Caches at an Event without a GPX file

LSbatman

When attending some small events, the CO will distribute a printed list of a few new caches (10-20) that will not be published until the following day. The list is usually limited to the GC code and coordinates. Folks with Garmins create new waypoints. Geosphere users create new caches in a database. I need to develop a Cachly workflow to handle this situation. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

What's the garmin file that is provided - a GPX I imagine? If so, that GPX can be loaded into Cachly. You'd need the GPX file with the caches emailed to (or possibly available someplace online). With the GPX file attached to an email you can open on your phone, go to the email and view the GPX from the mail. Your phone should display it with the typical iPhone share icon present. Click the Share icon and it should show one of the options to be Copy to Cachly. Select that and it will launch Cachly and start the Import GPX process. 

I'm sure there are others but since the Garmin is probably getting a GPX, that same source file should work with Cachly. 

You can test this by sending any GPX file you have to yourself via email and going through the steps. 

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like any gpx file is involved; just a printed list with coords and GC #s.   That's like what we had a million years ago.  For that event all I can think of is creating a series of "Saved Locations."  Hmm, can 'saved locations' be sent to other Cachly users?  

edit:  Yes, it looks like saved locations can, indeed, be shared with others.  Cachly users at the event should form a coterie and get a head's up on the others.  LOL

No GPX file is involved with the Garmin for those folks keying them in, one at a time. Someone with an Oregon (touchscreen) can do it pretty darn fast. 

But Team DEMP did remind me of something. I have seen the occasional person bring their laptop to an event, create the caches within GSAK, then export it to their Garmin. I could do something similar, but send the GPX to dropbox and then import it into Cachly. I will do some experimenting to see how Cachly handles caches with bogus GC numbers.

Ah - I misread the initial post. In events I've gone to, you can hand your GPS to someone who loads the caches via their laptop.  

I doctored up an existing GPX I downloaded from geocaching.com and changed the code and guid and it loaded fine in cachly. Of course I didn't log it and I'm not sure it would work without downloading the active cache as you need a valid cache id which is different from a GC code. So it seems useful to map them but you couldn't log them without a valid GC code and cache id, at least as fire as I can tell. 

I have a small GPX file in GSAK to mark trailheads in our city. I imported this into Cachly, it shows the "caches" on the map, I can mark them as found (saving as a draft), and the icon on the map gets a check mark signifying the find. This will work out fine to get through the event day, allowing me to plan an efficient route to the caches. I can always straighten everything out once the caches are actually published. And maybe, groundspeak will accept the find if I have the correct GC number entered in Cachly.