Help with a workflow issue

JohnCNA

I'm probably doing something in the wrong order but I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I imported a GPX of a series as an offline list.  I also want to check to see if there are other caches in the vicinity of this series.  So I select my offline list, and the map shows the caches that are in the offline list.  The location of these caches is 20 miles away from my home.  What I want to do is use the Live mode to search this area to see if there are other caches near the series.  But when I select the Live tab, the map moves to my current location.  It looks like the only way I can do what I want is to pan the map to the area in question and then when Live picks up the surrounding caches, save them to the offline list.  I could of course do this with a Pocket Query, but it would be easier and quicker to have the app do it.

Is there a better way other than manually panning the map to the area of my offline list?

Try this:  On the offline list choose a cache, then long press on its coords to copy them.  Then move over to live view and paste those coords into the search bar.  Make sure you're using the search bar option that accepts coords.  It will then search live in that area.  

That being said, I think there's a problem with the search using the format of the pasted coords.  You probably need to delete the comma in the coords, and maybe even the apostrophes.  (I think this gets fixed in 3.0.)  

20 minutes ago, hidegoseek said:

That being said, I think there's a problem with the search using the format of the pasted coords.  You probably need to delete the comma in the coords, and maybe even the apostrophes.  (I think this gets fixed in 3.0.)

This is fixed in 3.0. Apple broke our coordinate parsing in the current version. :(

13 hours ago, hidegoseek said:

Try this:  On the offline list choose a cache, then long press on its coords to copy them.  Then move over to live view and paste those coords into the search bar.  Make sure you're using the search bar option that accepts coords.  It will then search live in that area.  

I'll give that a try.  I was hoping for something in the list or description screen like "search near".  Cachly is the only app we have that always goes to your current location when selecting Live.  The others make you tap the bulls-eye if you want to do that.

47 minutes ago, JohnCNA said:

Cachly is the only app we have that always goes to your current location when selecting Live.  The others make you tap the bulls-eye if you want to do that.

Should should only happen on startup. In 3.0 you will be able to turn this option off.

10 minutes ago, JohnCNA said:

It would also be cool at some point to have an option to add whatever is visible on the map screen to an offline list all at once instead of selecting them one at at time.

Do you mean from the Live tab? This has always been available by tapping the ... button on the top left.

On 6/11/2017 at 10:54 PM, hidegoseek said:

Coordinate search is not working. In the screen shot you can see what I searched for and what came up instead. Not even close. I edited out the degree and apostrophe and commas and it still didn't work. I see in the message above that the parsing is fixed in 3.0. Great!  Search by GC code works OK so that's an acceptable work around for now. IMG_1268.thumb.PNG.ce687a96f73ee3d8ef2ea171945f9b50.PNG

I tried many variants of your search coordinates (comma, no comma, degrees, apostrophes). They all worked fine. Is it possible you copied the coord text from somewhere else and picked up a stray invisible character or MS Word fancy single quote?

beta22, ipad

On 6/17/2017 at 6:22 AM, rragan said:

They all worked fine. Is it possible you copied the coord text from somewhere else and picked up a stray invisible character or MS Word fancy single quote?

@JohnCNA isn't using the beta, so your results will be different. @JohnCNA in the current 2.0.3 version search for coordinates is broken. Apple updated an API we used and they broke our coordinate search. This is fixed in 3.0 with our own custom coordinate parser.