Display only traditional caches

Karadoc123

Hello. I'm a frequent user of Cachly and a premium geocaching member.

My daughter is also geocacher but basic member. I suggested her to use Cachly. She acquired it and installed it on her iPhone. Unfortunately she can only see traditional caches on the map or on the list mode.

We tried on several devices (iPhone 5, iPhone 6 and iPad 3) with the same result : connecting with my account, we see many types of caches all available both for premium and basic members but reconnecting with her account we see only the traditional caches.

There is no difference in our settings : only premium/basic difference.

More than that : while being connected to cachly with her account, if we use filter like displaying only mystery caches, then it displays the tradi caches anyway.

What could go wrong ?

What your daughter is seeing isn't a restriction with Cachly but a restriction enforced Groundspeak/geocaching.com. Groundspeak limits the cache type, difficulty/terrain rating caches and number of caches displayed per day. 

There are ways to get around some of these restrictions but you'll need to prep data and caches outside of Cachly and then bring caches over as offline data. At least I think that will work with a basic account. 

This was Groundspeaks way of still allowing people to play for free but in a very limited way.

Thanks.

I'm not sure that the explaination though. Here is why I doubt.

While testing with Cachly 2.0.3 (4) on my iPad (iOS 9.3.5), I finally faced such a trouble with my own account : with my account some caches were not displayed (mine). After checking the settings, I saw that my own caches were not supposed to be excluded. Worst, no cache type, no D/T and no cache size can be selected/deselected. Whatever I select, Cachly says that at least one type must be selected. Only possibility is to kill the app and restart it. I tried a couple of times with same result.

Well, let's assume it's groundspeak restriction. Then why does it work for my account on other device (same cachly version, iOS 10.3.1) ? While for my daughter it works with no device.

Also after removing Cachly and re-install it on the iPad, the bug disappeared for my account (still remains for my daughter's account).

It looks like a "search" function settings bug.

You are a premium member and your daughter is a basic member so Groundspeak doesn't enforce the same restrictions on you that your daughter's basic account has to operate under. You can see any cache type, and D/T and view a lot more (1000's) of caches per day from within the Cachly (or official geocaching.com) iPhone app.

If you want to reset your search criteria to make sure there's no filter in place, on the main Cachly screen click the gear icon on the right of the search box and in the Search Options screen that is displayed, click Reset in the top left. You can then adjust any settings again vs the default that the reset selected.

Well, the bug I faced with my account was not fixed by this search reset. Even after a reset, cachly said "at least on cache type must be selected". Anyway, after removing and reinstalling the app, it was ok for me.

My daughter didn't change any setting about cache type in any way and she can only view traditional caches. This is not fixed by removing/installing the app. It occurs since she installed the app, on May 20th, and can be seen everyday even if the search setting is for every kind of caches. How long is she supposed to wait before groundspeak releases her search possibilities ?

She's also using 2.0.3 cachly version, with iOS10.3.2.

1 minute ago, Karadoc123 said:

My daughter didn't change any setting about cache type in any way and she can only view traditional caches. This is not fixed by removing/installing the app. It occurs since she installed the app, on May 20th, and can be seen everyday even if the search setting is for every kind of caches. How long is she supposed to wait before groundspeak releases her search possibilities ?

Your daughter using the basic (free) geocaching.com account will only see traditional caches. There's nothing in Cachly causing this - it's how Groundspeak treats basic members. If you want access to the same caches as you have, you need to upgrade her to Premium membership too.  She would see the same caches using the official Geocaching app.

Your daughter can see those other caches on the web site, but not the smartphone app including geocaching's official smartphone app. If you log out of your premium account for a moment or open an incognito browser window and go to https://payments.geocaching.com/?upgrade=true you can see the difference between Basic (free) and Premium (paid) memberships. At the top you'll see icons that show All D/T and cache types are available to both via the web (monitor) but not for basic/free members on the smartphone. The smartphone icon is only listed under premium. 

OK this is clear now.

That's really bad from groundspeak to force players to subscribe premium that way. For a family, with several accounts, it can be quite an expense if every player needs a premium account to be able to use its smartphone application for something else than traditional caches.

Thanks for explaining.

There was a lot of very vocal feedback on the geocaching.com forums.  I mentioned in my first post there are ways to get around some of the constraints, and with you being a premium member, you can create a pocket query and have her download it to her device and use that offline download vs the "live" view. My understanding is that she will still be able to see all of the caches in the Pocket Query/PQ/GPX you send her. Just make sure, if you are filtering out caches you found already in the PQ and she hasn't found them, they wouldn't be in the downloaded PQ. If you are going out together but just logging the same caches under separate accounts, then I'd expect your PQs are fine for her. 

You can also do things like create an offline list yourself within cachly and then share that offline list with her through email, etc. vs create a pocket query ahead of time. 

Because I am premium, the above is my understanding but not something I've done. If you try the above, do it ahead of time and make sure she can view the offline caches for all the D/T and cache types you will go after.