Widget

Bolling

Question

I'm not a fan of the "official" app.  In fact I never use it for geocaching.  I have kept it on my phone for the message center (let's not get a discussion started about that topic).

That said, there is one feature I've found that I really like when away from home -- the lock screen Widget that shows the nearest three caches.  I've found it to be super useful to see if there is a cache nearby.  Then, if so, I can open Cachly.

Image.jpeg.d9190f6edab9acd5a948e565c644c34d.jpeg

I realize that you have to follow different API rules than Groundspeak does.  But, I would like to inquire as to whether a Cachly widget could be an option for a future version?  The current widget appears to only update when on screen, so I assume an API call only happens when necessary.  That would be your main limitation I suspect.  Plus, I guess it would have to be limited to premium Geocaching members or it would be useless.

Anyway, it's a good enough feature I'll keep the official app on my phone just so I have the widget -- a Cahcly widget would be the tops though!

2 answers to this question