Handling private data in exports

rragan

Question

Cache entries have some user private data like corrected coordinates and personal notes. In the context of exporting a GPX, different tools seem to treat them differently. 

1.  Geocaching.com:  PQ from bookmark list to make GPX. Cache coords in GPX are the corrected ones and no indication of what the original might have been. Personal note not exported. Based on GPX from friend he says he generated that way. I have not tried it myself to verify.

2. Geosphere: Cache coords in GPX are the corrected ones and extra tags <gsak:LatBeforeCorrect> and <gsak:LonBeforeCorrect> hold the published coordinates. <gsak:GcNote> holds the personal note text.

3. Cachly: Cache coords in GPX are the published ones. Two wpt tags with no names associated are at the end of the export and hold the published and corrected coordinate values.

I don't run GSAK but it looks like it may behave like the PQ exports. Maybe someone can check.

So the question is what behavior is "right"? It seems to depend on the intended use of the export. If I am moving data from one of my devices to another either directly or via something like Dropbox, I don't want to lose any information. If  I am sending the export to others, I may not want to share my corrected coords or personal note. One can argue that I can get full fidelity with Cachly by just doing a refresh to pull the private data from the web site. However, this is not an option when there is no data connection.

I personally prefer full fidelity in my GPX exports and maybe send a GPX to others only a few times per year. Others may have different habits.  To cater to both needs, a setting for "include private data in exports" sounds like a good way to go. 

2 answers to this question