Support .loc files

rragan

Question

If you select a set of caches on a user's finds page on geocaching.com and click to download, a .loc file is sent. Cachly is not registered to handle this. With Geosphere, a minimal cache entry is created and I can then do an update to fill out the rest of the things like description, logs, etc. Not crucial but handy at times. 

5 answers to this question

Normally if I don't feel I have a need for an enhancement request, I just don't respond as the requestor or others might have a real need that inhibits use or effectiveness of the experience. 

Aren't there viable alternative workflows that provide the same or better results for the steps you outlined? Couldn't the selected caches be added to a list and the list accessed and saved offline in Cachly with the full cache details?

Is there another reason the minimal Loc file needs to be imported? If Geocaching.com provided a GPX to download, would this functionality still be needed? I know I've seen these requests on their forums.

I would much rather Geocaching.com provided a GPX file or let me create a list directly. I assume the .loc is a legacy of supporting older GPS units. In this case, I was helping someone who wanted a list of all the caches a relative had found. The Geocaching.com page of their finds does not support creating a list, just the .loc download. 

Had I thought more about it I could have solved the problem by setting up a Virtual GPS in project-GC and using Map Compare with a final step to create a list via export. So no need for .loc support. Certainly a rare occurrence when I need such a feature and there is a workaround for a PGC member.

15 hours ago, afishoutawater said:

Not an answer as I have a  similar question. Geocaching.com only allows you to download benchmarks via a .loc file.  There isn’t even an option to send them to a bookmark list.  I can’t find a way to get the benchmarks from geocaching.com to Cachly.

Currently Cachly isn't setup to import benchmarks, even if we did support .loc files.