Question about Cachly

acachebox

I have given up on the Geocaching app and now use Cachly with only one question. When navigating to a cache it is impossible to have the map hold in a navigation mode, arrow pointing straight ahead to the cache. Any time I touch the screen it reverts back to a map orientation, north at the top of the screen. This is a pain at best.

It appears that if I were to be in compass mode that will remain n a navigation mode. Is that the answer or am I missing something?

I have noticed the compass frequently asks for a calibration when using Cachly. Why is that if i have not moved some distance from my last caching experience?

4 minutes ago, acachebox said:

It appears that if I were to be in compass mode that will remain n a navigation mode. Is that the answer or am I missing something?

How it currently works is how the default is for iOS. This is the same as how the Apple Maps application works.

I do however realize it is a pain for users. It isn't a quick and easy fix on our end and is something that we have to develop our own solution for, but we will be working on getting this done in an upcoming version.

5 minutes ago, acachebox said:

I have noticed the compass frequently asks for a calibration when using Cachly. Why is that if i have not moved some distance from my last caching experience?

iOS is what prompts that screen to show. It will show when iOS thinks it has encountered a magnetic field change. This could be because your phone is close to electronics or even a large chunk of metal like a car.

Because of this there is a Settings option in Cachly to turn this off. :)

• 1 month later...
On 3/29/2017 at 2:08 PM, Nic Hubbard said:

How it currently works is how the default is for iOS. This is the same as how the Apple Maps application works.

I have never seen the Apple Map revert back to a north orientation while using it. I have just spent several hours on the phone with Apple. They are saying that the compass no longer requires recalibrations with 10.3. 

I do however realize it is a pain for users. It isn't a quick and easy fix on our end and is something that we have to develop our own solution for, but we will be working on getting this done in an upcoming version.

iOS is what prompts that screen to show. It will show when iOS thinks it has encountered a magnetic field change. This could be because your phone is close to electronics or even a large chunk of metal like a car.

Because of this there is a Settings option in Cachly to turn this off. :)

Where is this setting.

I have 2 I Phones and while using cachly can see significant differences in direction and distance to the cache between them. Apple is working on this and hopefuly will get back with an answer.

7 minutes ago, acachebox said:

I have never seen the Apple Map revert back to a north orientation while using it.

I mean. In Apple Maps, if you tap the current location button twice or three times to turn on one of the follow modes, then move the map, it reverts and takes you out of those modes automatically.

9 minutes ago, acachebox said:

Where is this setting.

If you go to the More tab, then Settings you will see an option "Allow Compass Calibration".

• 4 months later...

Hi Nic

Any update on the problem of the map not holding navigation mode while approaching a cache.

Yes in compass mode this may not be a problem but I lie the navigation mode because it displays the the map and aids driving to a cache. If I am driving to a cache that may be a mile or more away the compass is not helpful unless I am will to drive off road.

2 hours ago, acachebox said:

Any update on the problem of the map not holding navigation mode while approaching a cache.

Yes in compass mode this may not be a problem but I lie the navigation mode because it displays the the map and aids driving to a cache. If I am driving to a cache that may be a mile or more away the compass is not helpful unless I am will to drive off road.

This isn't an easy thing to "fix", as this is the standard way that iOS maps work. To developer this we would have to rebuild the entire way that our mapping works, following the user works, and map follow with heading rotation works. It is a huge development, even though it might appear to be very simple.

At this point, because of the massive changes involved, I don't have plans for this until 4.0.