Stop searching for nearby caches automatically

Accoue

Question

It might be nice to stop the automatic search of caches (especially at the opening of Cachly) Sometimes I know that the caches around me do not interest me (already logged) and that I want to go in a very precise place . I have to wait until cachly has finished the first search to be able to move on the map and go again to rescan the caches in real time. I would like to recall on the arrow that initially turns, that stops research for example.

23 answers to this question

Great option, but I'd like to see a small adaption: do not search for caches in the nearby area, but do go to the current location on the map. I switched the automatic search function to off, but now Cachly opens up with me on top off the world. I like that, and it's easy to click the arrow to go to my current location, but why not automatic?

Still, it seems as if cachly focuses twice on the current location. When I start the app, it zooms in to my current location. If I go to another location, while the "I'm doing something on the background" wheel is still turning, it zooms back to my current location. So, before I can go to another location, I have to wait until the wheel stops spinning. Not the behaviour I expected...

2 hours ago, vanBaarsel said:

Still, it seems as if cachly focuses twice on the current location. When I start the app, it zooms in to my current location. If I go to another location, while the "I'm doing something on the background" wheel is still turning, it zooms back to my current location. So, before I can go to another location, I have to wait until the wheel stops spinning. Not the behaviour I expected...

This is likely because you have the "fit to map" option on along with "Automatic Search on Start", since once the pins load it will zoom the map to fit all of the pins.

Does this sound about right?

I was not having this problem but decided to try to reproduce it. I turned off wifi to have a slow 3G connection. I did not experience the issue with a couple of tries.  I tested a couple of times closing Cachly between each test. I then see started with the first option Metric Units and turned it on. I experienced the same problem vanBaarsel described. I turned Metric back off but now I repeatedly have the same problem. 

1 hour ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Strange. And this always happens?

It's very easy to reproduce, and it happens every time. Just to be sure you understand me, I did a little video and placed it (hidden) on YouTube.

This is what happens in the video: after opening Cachly, it shows my location (Delft, Netherlands). I quickly swipe a few times, to whatever location. After a while, Cachly returns to my current location. After closing and reopening Cachly it still shows my home location, and (not shown in this video) I can swipe to any location without magically going back to my home location again.

I close Cachly completely by clicking twice on the home button and then swiping Cachly up. I quickly swipe to another location, in the middle of the sea (not on purpose) and after a while, Cachly returns to my home location again. Notice the spinning icon on top, it returns to my home location after it stops spinning.

A little extra information, as reaction to Bolling's post: it happens both with wifi and cellular data (3G/4G), and it doesn't matter it metric, automatically search for cache on startup, prevent map rotation, clear map after refreshing and adjust map to caches are switched on or off. I tried them all :(

It also happens in both versions 2 and 3. I'm using the beta, my wife is using 2.0.3 and experiencing the same behaviour.

To me, it looks as it Cachly goes to the current location on startup, does some stuff in the background (the spinning wheel), and then goes to the current location again. As if that same routine is called twice somewhere during startup. 

15 minutes ago, vanBaarsel said:

To me, it looks as it Cachly goes to the current location on startup, does some stuff in the background (the spinning wheel), and then goes to the current location again. As if that same routine is called twice somewhere during startup. 

Looking into this. Thanks for the video. Will let you know what I find.

Just another take on the auto move to your current location. Is this going to be user selectable?

Sometimes I need to search an area away from my location. An area we are going to and want to see what is available. You might want to go out of the app and back in at the same location. 

6 hours ago, ChrisDen said:

Just another take on the auto move to your current location. Is this going to be user selectable?

Sometimes I need to search an area away from my location. An area we are going to and want to see what is available. You might want to go out of the app and back in at the same location. 

It will only happen when you start Cachly for the first time after it has been quit. Currently there isn't a user option planned for this.