Show direction in list view

rragan

Question

5 answers to this question

I've been using Cachly for quite some time now and it has become a key part of my caching experience. I'm not sure what I would do without it. I converted over from Geosphere and after a while, I never looked back. 

But I still have this one thing on my wish list. I have been waiting for the cache list to display the direction of each of the caches in the list. As mentioned in the post by rragan, this would help a lot when deciding what caches to tackle next.

Is this still on the list for future updates or have I missed a setting in the existing version? 

On 9/1/2018 at 1:02 PM, ciarmer said:

Is this still on the list for future updates or have I missed a setting in the existing version? 

It isn't something that I am actively working on or have planned for the next version, but it is on our feature list.

I guess my question is, how valuable is this to users that never used or have even known about Geosphere? 

One way to look at this is what do I want to know when considering my next cache target? In my view the distance and direction from my current location is more important than some of the other attributes that are shown in the list view (eg favorite points, trackables). 

I think it is very valuable. When I'm caching in a particular area and I've updated my list to reflect my location I generally am heading in a particular direction (either toward a destination or heading home). When I look at the list I can easily see how far away they are but one cache might be 1 mile east of me and another might be 1.2 miles west of me. I can't do any planning without doing more work on what caches I'll be near as I head to my destination. To me, the list view showing direction would be invaluable. An alternative might the ability to sort or modify the list based on direction (eg showing all caches toward the N, NW and NE of me) but direction is not currently a sort option). 

I certainly can't speak for other users but I can say that I am consistently wondering in what direction the caches on this list are. I end up clicking on each of the caches on the map to determine which caches on my list should be my next targets.