Corrected coord icon + "GSAK notes"

Team EvdB

• Cachly : 2.0.3 (4)
  • iOS version 10.2.1
  • Device : Iphone 6
  • Premium user of geocaching.com

When I change the coordinates of a mystery/puzzle cache on the geocaching.com site, and after that I search the cache with cachly there is a red triangle in the blue.
When i change the coordinates of a mystery/puzzle cache directly in cachly there is also a red triangle in the blue.

But when i have a cache with corrected coordinates in GSAK, and i import the database to cachly, there is NO red triangle in the blue. So i can't recognized quick that it is solved.

--> is it also possible to get a red triangle when I imported form GSAK? (When yes, how to do that)
--> is it possible to import als the notes from GSAK to cachly?

*Sorry for my bad English, I hope you understand the question*

Esmée/ Team EvdB

Here's some snippets from the GSAK FAQ on Facebook related to corrected coordinates. Might just provide some perspective and the sometimes complex options/interactions...

3.4: What is the easiest way to enter corrected coordinates in GSAK?
A: There are correct and incorrect ways to enter corrected coordinates in GSAK. I will not point out the incorrect ways.
  1. Open the GSAK database with the cache you want to correct.
  2. Use one of the following methods to open the Corrected Coordinates window:
    a. Double click in the Corrected Coordinates Indicator column for desired cache.
    b. Right click cache and choose the Corrected Coordinates… menu item.
    c. Highlight cache then choose the Waypoint menu then the Corrected Coordinates... menu.
  3. The Corrected Coordinates window will appear with the corrected coordinates currently filled in the Lat/Lon box. If you have not corrected them in the past, the coordinates showing will be the original coordinates entered by the cache owner.
  4. In the Lat/Lon box enter the actual corrected coordinates.
  5. At the bottom of the window check the Force elevation refresh check box.
  6. Click the OK button to save the coordinates.

If you correct the coordinates with the steps above, those coordinates will NOT be overwritten by a PQ.

If you correct coordinates in GSAK by using the API to Refresh Cache Data and download corrected coordinates that you have entered on geocaching.com, these corrected coordinates WILL be overwritten by a pocket query and the yellow corrected coordinates indicator will be removed. By using the method above, you are ensuring that a pocket query will not ever overwrite your corrected coordinates. If you did enter your corrected coordinates on geocaching.com and then downloaded them using Refresh Cache Data, the corrected method will be shown in the bottom right corner of the Corrected Coordinates window as “Type: api”. Simply clicking the OK button on this window will now change it to “Type: gui” and protect it from being overwritten. If yours says “Type: api” then the coordinates are susceptible to being overwritten.

More information

3.5: What are the issues regarding the use of corrected coordinates from geocaching.com?
A: There are multiple ways to download caches from gc.com. For this question it is assumed the coordinates on the cache page were changed using the built in capability provided on gc.com for changing coordinates.

GPX based downloads treat the changed coordinates as the posted coordinates. The 'Refresh Cache Data..." API does recognize the concept of "corrected coordinates" and transfers both original and corrected. This is the case for:
  1) Downloading the GPX file for an individual cache directly using the GPX File button.
  2) Creating a PQ that contains caches with manually, online corrected coordinates.
    a) Downloading the PQ manually
    B) Downloading the PQ via the API

If you download a new PQ onto of your existing DB containing corrected coordinates, the corrected coordinates will revert back to posted coordinates. Doing a refresh of cache data will fix everything.

The short answer is, you can download caches containing corrected coordinates, but you need to run the refresh cache data API to get the corrected coordinates indicator.

Alternatively, you can just correct the coordinates in GSAK and they will not be overwritten by any download method.

To learn how to refresh cache data see question 5.1.

• 1 month later...

Just curious if there are any updates to this?  I've been using Cachly as a replacement for Geosphere for sporadic caching and it seems to work well. Now I've started migrating my Solved/Unfound puzzle gpx and am struggling. 

Im using corrected coords in GSAK and they come into Cachly as the original coords with my GSAK notes. When I do a refresh the GSAK note and coordinates are gone. 

Do you have the corrected coordinates and cache notes saved on the cache page at geocaching.com?  When you hit refresh, the app fetches data from the the site. That includes posted coords. So, unless you have corrected the coords on the site (as well as in GSAK) then the result you are seeing is the expected (albeit unwanted) result. 

18 minutes ago, CodeJunkie said:

My corrected coords only exist in GSAK not on the mothership. There are reasons that many avid puzzlers, like myself, avoid putting final coords on the website and choose to store them offline. 

What are reasons not to do it on the site as a corrected coord? I know in the past there were reasons - are they still the same today?

When you use sites like geocaching.com, project-gc.com and apps like Cachly, how do you communicate the final coord if it's just an attribute in GSAK?  Was your GPS or a GPX file getting it out of an export macro?

I'm one that happens to like puzzles which puts me in a bit of a minority, but at the same time I think it gives a unique perspective to things (the game, software, etc.).  I'm also a bit old school as I was around long before geocaching.com added this functionality.

1) When generating a shared PQ / List of caches to send to others I don't always want the corrected coords included.  By letting the main site store just the defaults I can generate data from there without worrying about accidently sharing the final coordinates.

2) Keeping them separate allows me to keep all my extensive notes (i.e. more that what I can on the default site) along with the corrected coords in a single spot.

3) When doing geoart series of puzzles it's nice to see the geoart vs. the random pattern of the actual coords.

I'm trying to become a convert to Cachly, but honestly this and 2 other features of Geosphere that I used extensively are holding me back a bit. 

CJ

Just now, Nic Hubbard said:

What are the other 2 features?

1) Multiple "datastores" selectable on the fly.  I've been able to mimic this for the most part by doing the "merge list" functionality in the offline section as needed.  Historically in Geosphere I had separate PQ's for the various areas I traveled to regularly as well as the ever changing "Solved/Unfound" puzzle datastore.  Depending on where I was traveling for the day I could selectively enable the location specific datastore along with the puzzle datastore.  I also had a "My Caches" datastore that I would periodically turn on/off as desired.  The neat thing about doing this was that I could selectively turn anyone of these on and do a "refresh" to update the logs / cache data on the fly via the "Live" functionality.

2) Multiple customizable log templates.  I've heard this discussed on GeoGearHeads a couple of times so I'm waiting patiently.  I have standards for FTF, DNF, group caching, etc.

As a fellow programmer and caching enthusiast I certainly get the challenges of pleasing the majority to maximize the benefit and really like what I've seen so far was well as the updates I've seen.  I'll be honest that for grabbing a few traditionals the app works great and I actually used this in Cananda a couple of weeks back for some spur of the moment caching without issue.  But my passion is puzzles and in all honesty was spoiled with the functionality of Geosphere because it worked exactly like I wanted it to and now I'm trying to adopt something new and I'm certainly willing to change but just wanted to at least pose the question about grabbing corrected coords from the GSAK exported GPX file.

CJ

21 hours ago, CodeJunkie said:

As a fellow programmer and caching enthusiast I certainly get the challenges of pleasing the majority to maximize the benefit and really like what I've seen so far was well as the updates I've seen.

This is the biggest problem in creating an app like Cachly. :)

Your two features are for sure on my list. :)

For those using GSAK, it seems there's now a macro you can run, on a cache by cache basis, to update the geocaching.com site with the corrected coordinates entered in GSAK. This should allow geocaching.com, project-gc and Cachly to use those coordinates to display the cache in its adjusted location.  I started the thread on the GSAK forum after multiple individuals here and on FB were dealing with corrected coords when leveraging GSAK. 

Post in discussion thread: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=32319&st=0&#entry243332

Macro: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=32407&st=0&#entry243331

What I'm not sure yet is if someone is creating the GPX directly from GSAK, if you'll get the corrected coords if you were previously using the suggested GSAK method. It might work if GSAK is refreshed (gc.com --> GSAK) with the cache info after the corrected coords are sent to the geocaching site (GSAK --> gc.com). 

The macro mentioned by @Team DEMP above has been updated to Version 3 in the last day or so to upload the corrected coordinates from your current GSAK filter list.

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?s=0fb96b9025932651f9500f49cbaa2606&showtopic=32407&st=0&#entry243386

I ran it last night with 5000+ caches in the list - it took a number of hours to complete, but now all my corrected coordinates are now on geocaching.com.

In response to @CodeJunkie's comment "When generating a shared PQ / List of caches to send to others I don't always want the corrected coords included." - you can do this with your GSAK export by selecting the "output original coordinates' check box.

Original_coordinates.png

• 1 month later...
On 5/8/2017 at 1:15 PM, Team DEMP said:

What are reasons not to do it on the site as a corrected coord? I know in the past there were reasons - are they still the same today?

Well, when I download pocket queries, I get the coordinates updated with no indication that they've been corrected.  So I don't know which puzzles have been solved.  It works fine with the API though.

I suppose I could use the GSAK "Get Geocaches" feature to fetch caches, and just stop using pocket queries?  (At least for puzzles)

20 hours ago, Pfalstad said:

So I don't know which puzzles have been solved.  It works fine with the API though.

You are saying it does work for you to download a PQ in Cachly and have it show the corrected coordinates indicator?

When doesn't it work? If you are meaning with a PQ GPX file then this is correct. The GPX files make no indication that they have corrected coordinates, so Cachly has no way of knowing this. I would avoid using the GPX files and download PQs directly in Cachly since it uses the API and will know there are corrected coords.

49 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

You are saying it does work for you to download a PQ in Cachly and have it show the corrected coordinates indicator?

When doesn't it work? If you are meaning with a PQ GPX file then this is correct. The GPX files make no indication that they have corrected coordinates, so Cachly has no way of knowing this. I would avoid using the GPX files and download PQs directly in Cachly since it uses the API and will know there are corrected coords.

Hmm.  Yes, when I download a PQ in cachly I do get the indicator.  That's surprising.  When I download a PQ in GSAK I don't.  I thought GSAK used the API as well.

Unfortunately I need the indicator in GSAK, since I use it to load my GPS.  But, I suppose I could use the "Get Geocaches" feature in GSAK instead.