Navigate to dropped pin

rragan

Question

I often manually want to drop a pin and then get driving navigation to that spot. This deals well  with a cache placed on a frontage road next to a freeway. Typically the navigation application wants to put me on the freeway and tell me I have arrived when I get next to the cache I can't reach from there. By dropping a pin a small distance away from the freeway, the navigation application typically avoids  this problem. 

Padding an option to dropped pin to Navigate there would help greatly.  Otherwise I have to hack around by taking the coordinates of the pin and making them a waypoint for the cache in question and then later removing the waypoint.  Doable but a lot of messing around for something that could be a lot simpler. 

I would see this is the first step towards user-defined way points. These have a variety of uses when traveling to points of interest or hotels or any place you might want to navigate to and write notes to yourself about what is there. 

4 answers to this question

Unless I am misunderstanding the request, this is possible in Cachly. When on the Navigate to Cache screen, just press and hold on the map. This will drop a pin. You can then press and hold on the pin to move it to anywhere you want on the map. Next, tap the pin and then the info button and you will have some options shown such as Create as Waypoint, Set as Target, etc.

Using the Set as Target option will allow you to open up a navigation provider and navigate to this pin. You could also use this pin to create a waypoint and then set that as the target to navigate to.

I did this multiple times today so it should be working as you want. You can't do it from the main map screen but once you select a cache and click the Navigate to Cache button, on the map that is displayed you can click to place a new point and then Set as Target as Nic described above. Just make sure you are on the Navigate to Cache screen first. 

1 hour ago, rragan said:

I'll make s separate feature request one of these days for standalone user defined waypoints but not now. Low priority for me. 

I have a number of "saved locations" not tied to any specific caches.  They show up on my "more" screen.  Handy for parking coords or trailheads that support a number of caches.