DNF color in overview screen

Hko

Question

Just wondering here... but a DNF gives a sad smiley in color blue as a standard indicator on the map... wouldn't it be better/more consistent to also have a blue dot in the cache overview page then? Now the DNF is a dark red color... pretty close to the orange and red colors for disabled and needs maintenance. 

just my 2cents...

31 answers to this question

Having to guess/remember the meaning of dot color is not great to my mind. I screen captured Looking4Cache app and blended their use of icons with a Cachly screen cap. The result shows that the more mnemonic icon circles they use ought to take no more real estate than is currently used. A blue frownie, yellow smiley, etc then are like the map view. 

image.jpeg

Given that a lot of users also use GSAK, it should be noted that GSAK also shows DNFs as a red dot in the "last 4 logs" view, so the consistency there could be appreciated by many.

But I do agree that the two "red" shades is hard to distinguish between at a quick glance (and for those of us with bad eyesight).

I like the stoplight colors. I can't say that I've never looked at two shades of red next to each other and wondered about the difference, but I'm not sure knowing the difference at a glance is really that important. To me, the five dots are mostly a representation of the recent health of a cache. Any shade of red indicates something negative (DNF, disable, archive), while any shade of green indicates something positive (smiley, enable). If I really care to know which is which if there are multiple reds, I'm always going to tap through and read the logs for that, anyway.

The way I see it, GSAK's presentation of the logs has a different context. As said, it's more a recent generalization of the cach "health". As opposed to a list of recent logs in the context of "these are logs that have been posted most recently". In the latter case, consistency in icons is more important, because that's the context - specific log types. In the GSAK health context, red/green when grouped closer together imply something different, something collective, and so I'd say it's ok there to not use say yellow/blue smileys and frowneys.

In the cache detail card lists, eg, on one line the most recent logs, I'd say remain consistent with official icons. If it were presenting them in a different context, a different method (which btw can also ignore notes which I believe GSAK does) then red/green makes more sense. IMO.

5 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

Yeah red seems 'bad'. Archived is more neutral. I'd Archived should be black, and notes grey. Consistency would imply NM would be red or orange for potential problem, and Owner Maintenance perhaps green, good-to-go.

The original colors in Cachly (besides found and DNF) were based off of the geocaching.com icons. The archive icon is red, so that is where the color was sampled from.