Satellite Views

rragan

This is more of an observation than a question. In the past I thought that Geosphere Google Satellite view had better resolution than what Cachly showed (although this could be due to stretching bits and not seeing anything new). Since Google Maps use is broken on Geosphere with iOS 10, this became an incentive to switch to Cachly. 

With the new distance scale in both apps I was able to compare quantitatively. 

Cachly best resolution

Apple Sat: 100 ft

Apple Flyover: 39 ft

Google Sat: 50 ft

Geosphere best resolution

Apple Sat: 100 ft

Google Sat: 50 ft initially but bit stretch down to 30 ft. This tells me Cachly is showing all the resolution Google sat view has to offer  

I had not noticed the Apple Flyover option until I heard you on the Geocache Talk podcast. I am now blown away. It has the best resolution of any satellite view options. 

I'm not seeing a difference between the 2 satellite zoom levels in a spot I checked in NJ. I selected a cache and zoomed in as far as possible with Apple  flyover selected and then selected Google satellite. The both show the exactly same framed spot in the Cachly screen. 

Is there Apple detail determined based on location? Am I doing something wrong or misunderstanding your analysis?

I checked another location - GC5FC5N and a random one in NJ but both let me get down to 39' with flyover. However, out in a field in the Kanas, GC48262, I only get 100' but Google Sat view lets me reach 50'.  So it looks like not all areas have the same resolution. 

The cache I was looking at was a solved puzzle so I found another nearby that I don't see a difference on, but maybe I'm not sure how to tell there's a difference. I picked GC55PAK . When I zoom in as far as I can on Google Satellite or Apple Flyover, I see the same screenshot and can't zoom in farther on either. Both show 0 ... 25 ... 50 as the distance bar.  How are you able to tell it's 39' vs 50' or is the image for my area 50' for both?

11 minutes ago, Team DEMP said:

I have an iPhone 6. For GC5FC5N I see the following in the distance scale:

Apple Satellite Flyover 0-25-50 ft
Google Satellite 0-25-50 ft
Apple Satellite 0-50-100ft 

I can't zoom in any further on the above. 

On this cache, on both an iPhone 6 and an iPad I see:

Apple Satellite Flyover 0-13-26-39 ft
Google Satellite 0-25-50 ft
Apple Satellite 0-50-100ft