Updated coordinates when logging find

Team DEMP

What do folks feel about the Add Coordinate to Log option in the Log Cache screen? 

Yesterday I was at a cache that showed about 35-40ft off both on my iPhone and on my GPS. When I logged the find in Cachly, I selected Add Coordinate to Log and the latitude/longitude defaulted to the coords of the cache page and not the current coordinates. I would have preferred that the coordinates showed the current latitude/longitude at that moment. Since I'm on the log screen, I didn't have quick access to my phone coords so I looked on my GPS and entered those coords. 

Is it more useful for folks to have current coords, which is relevant if logging at the site, or the original posted coords?

As long as the 'Add Coordinate to Log' option is on the log screen, then it makes sense to default to the current coords.  That being said, I'm not convinced that the iPhone necessarily has accurate enough coords* to influence future cachers with another set of coords, especially in the woods.   The only time I've added coords to a log is when I've taken a series of averaged coords with a real GPSr.  

*Every time I go caching now and can't find the cache right off, I begin to wonder if the posted coords were taken using a phone. Just yesterday I talked with a newbie cacher who's first cache was 1,000 feet from GZ.  Yikes!  

1 hour ago, hidegoseek said:

That being said, I'm not convinced that the iPhone necessarily has accurate enough coords* to influence future cachers with another set of coords, especially in the woods.   The only time I've added coords to a log is when I've taken a series of averaged coords with a real GPSr. 

I don't want to steer this discussion off topic but I agree with you about averaged coordinates. I always use them when hiding a cache. However, I think my iPhone is much more accurate than my rugged Garmin eTrex that's 10 years old but still works like a charm -- if it can  even  get a signal in the woods.