"Exclude Archived" Filter

ZeppelinDT

So I'm still fairly new to this app but I've been playing around with it over the last few days and I noticed that one of the filter options in the live search is "Exclude Archived".  This has me a bit confused though, as I can't quite figure out its purpose - aren't archived caches always excluded from live searching?  I guess it doesn't hurt having it there, but I'm just wondering if this option serves some function that I'm just overlooking (e.g., is there a way to actually include archived caches in live search?)

2 hours ago, ZeppelinDT said:

So I'm still fairly new to this app but I've been playing around with it over the last few days and I noticed that one of the filter options in the live search is "Exclude Archived".  This has me a bit confused though, as I can't quite figure out its purpose - aren't archived caches always excluded from live searching?  I guess it doesn't hurt having it there, but I'm just wondering if this option serves some function that I'm just overlooking (e.g., is there a way to actually include archived caches in live search?)

Some event caches will still show up even though they are Archived. This is the real reason for this feature, was to hide those.

Huh.  That's weird.  I wonder why that is.  Although, now that you mention it, there was a recent event that was archived near me but it still shows up on the OFFICIAL app, which is definitely not supposed to happen.  So I wonder if that's an issue generated on Groundspeak's end with the way they archive certain caches.  (I noticed that the one archived event near me that kept showing up was archived by HQ, rather than by a local Admin or the Event creator... I wonder if that's somehow relevant).

35 minutes ago, ZeppelinDT said:

Huh.  That's weird.  I wonder why that is.  Although, now that you mention it, there was a recent event that was archived near me but it still shows up on the OFFICIAL app, which is definitely not supposed to happen.  So I wonder if that's an issue generated on Groundspeak's end with the way they archive certain caches.  (I noticed that the one archived event near me that kept showing up was archived by HQ, rather than by a local Admin or the Event creator... I wonder if that's somehow relevant).

I think the API has always worked this way. There is an option when we request caches to return caches that are archived or not. So I think it is intentional. 

9 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

I think the API has always worked this way. There is an option when we request caches to return caches that are archived or not. So I think it is intentional. 

That's interesting.  In the old days one could search the website for archived caches, but not any longer.   I wonder why gc.com removed that ability.

Could be.  Sure seems like an odd option though.  I can't imagine why anybody would ever want their search to include archived events.  I actually just came across this thread from a few months back, which seems to have been the origin of this option, and I looked up the GC code of the event in question, and sure enough, that one was also archived by Geocaching HQ rather than by a local admin or event owner.  Could just be a coincidence of course, but it definitely makes me wonder if the an archiving from HQ is somehow processed differently.