Corrected Coordinates

TheGreenTroll

I correct the majority of my solved puzzles using GSAK which are displayed in cachly with the corrected coordinates. When I refresh the offline database all the corrected coordinates disappear and revert back to the original coordinates unless the cache is corrected on the main geocaching site. Is there a setting that I have missed or an update needed to stop this happening.

I wonder if you need to reconsider/alter your workflow.

Right now you have an offline view of data in GSAK with corrected coordinates. 
You don't seem to be updating geocaching.com with that info for some reason.

You also have 2 downloads you are doing to Cachly - 1 from GSAK and 1 from Geocaching.com

So I see the following options...
a ) have 2 different downloads to Cachly and select one to view at any given time
b ) Update geocaching.com with the coords you are entering in GSAK and just download the PQ from geocaching.com to Cachly
c ) Update GSAK from geocaching.com where GSAK retains the corrected coords. You load Cachly from GSAK
d) Possibly, a way to merge within Cachly but not sure if the expected results will be reliably obtained.

Just my 2 cents.

As a previous geosphere user there were the option to update cache's by the following ways.

Basic cache data

Full cache data

Cache status

If an offline data was updated using basic cache data the corrected coordinates didn't disappear, only the cache information i.e. Logs and status was updated.

I not comparing cachly to geosphere this is just constructive feedback.

• 6 months later...

I'd like to see this too!  I need to do the refresh to see the cache note and the latest logs.  (since I don't see a way to easily load the cache page (into a browser) from Cachly..  That would be a nice feature too.)  I'm not sure why Cachly would rid of the corrected coordinates anyway?  It knows they're corrected, right?

I tried using corrected coordinates on geocaching.com when the feature was first introduced, but stopped because I ran into problems (I don't remember what).  I can look into trying this again, but I'd rather not have to change my workflow, and this feature seems simple enough to add.

Cachly is a great app, though!

21 hours ago, Pfalstad said:

I'd like to see this too!  I need to do the refresh to see the cache note and the latest logs.

You can currently do this. Just tap the ... when in an Offline List and choose to Refresh Caches.

I'm not sure why Cachly would rid of the corrected coordinates anyway?  It knows they're corrected, right?

Cachly doesn't overwrite or get rid of corrected coordinates. Cachly syncs these both ways between geocaching.com.

and this feature seems simple enough to add.

Which feature do you mean?

41 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

You can currently do this. Just tap the ... when in an Offline List and choose to Refresh Caches.

Cachly doesn't overwrite or get rid of corrected coordinates. Cachly syncs these both ways between geocaching.com.

Which feature do you mean?

Hi, the original poster asked for a way to refresh caches without overwriting the corrected coordinates, if the coordinates are corrected in the GPX but not on geocaching.com.  That's the feature I wanted.

I use GSAK to build GPX files and load them into Cachly.  Right now I only correct coordinates in GSAK for various reasons.  So when I refresh a cache, my coordinates get overwritten with the posted coordinates.

2 minutes ago, Pfalstad said:

Hi, the original poster asked for a way to refresh caches without overwriting the corrected coordinates, if the coordinates are corrected in the GPX but not on geocaching.com.  That's the feature I wanted.

I use GSAK to build GPX files and load them into Cachly.  Right now I only correct coordinates in GSAK for various reasons.  So when I refresh a cache, my coordinates get overwritten with the posted coordinates.

This is the problem with not saving corrected coordinates on geocaching.com. Currently Cachly uses geocaching.com to keep corrected coords in sync. Not sure if/when we would change this functionality. 

There's a functioning macro on the GSAK site that should properly update the geocaching website with the GSAK approach to corrected coordinates. Apparently in the past, the geocaching website/API didn't function properly in this area but it seems to be fine now and is the preferred approach, at least to accomplish what the original poster was looking for. In the original poster's case, the geocaching site wasn't updated so it was refreshing with the original coords. It seems the original poster would like the updated coords when refreshed which would be accomplished with the GSAK macro. 

See http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=32407&st=0&#entry243426 on the Gsak site. 

Just now, Team DEMP said:

FYI - There's a functioning macro on the GSAK site that should properly update the geocaching website with the GSAK approach to corrected coordinates. Apparently in the past, the geocaching website/API didn't function properly in this area but it seems to be fine now and is the preferred approach, at least to accomplish what the original posted was looking for. In the original poster's case, the geocaching site wasn't updated so it was refreshing with the original coords. It seems the original poster would like the updated coords when refreshed which would be accomplished with the GSAK macro. 

See http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=32407&st=0&#entry243426 on the Gsak site. 

Ok, I was assuming it was still broken.  It's still somewhat broken, but I think I can work around the issues and switch over now.  Thanks.