Viewing pocket queries

jinta29

7 hours ago, jinta29 said:

Is there any way to view multiple PQ's on the offline maps? My current PQ's for the state number 13 and I would like to view more than 1 PQ at a time. Thanks

There isn't currently a way to view more than one PQ at a time, but you can merge lists so that you can create a "master" PQ list.

Just make sure you are using version 2.0. :)

32 minutes ago, jinta29 said:

Ok, fantastic. How do you do this? I can't for the life of me work out how to merge the pq's. Thanks

You need to be using 2.0. If you are, just swipe the row on one of the PQ's that is in the Offline tab. Then choose "Options". This will give you options to copy, merge etc with another list.

1 hour ago, Bolling said:

It took me a while to find the Options feature the other day. I knew offline databases could be merged so I kept looking.   It's not totally intuitive right now. 

One option might be to swap the positions of the Options and Delete boxes. 

Simplicity and intuitiveness sometimes go hand and hand, and are sometimes at odds. We have tried to keep both in mind on this screen. There are a lot of controls that a user can invoke, but I think that the screen still works.

We are using the standard iOS swipe to reveal feature, which is used throughout iOS. The iOS Mail app does this exact thing, and this is what Cachly's Offline List swipe feature is modeled after:

more.png

Hope this helps explain a bit of our thinking when planning the UI and user experience. :)

I do understand your approach. I'll admit I use Spark for personal email and the Swipes are customized there so mine aren't standard. 

I did look at the standard mail app swipe. One difference I notice is that in the mail app all three functions unfold simultaneously making them all noticeable without a full swipe.

I did of course find the functionality after a while, but after seeing this post it reminded me of my struggle too.

• 1 month later...

I'll add it took me quite a while to discover the "Options" on the swipe of a list row. I'd expected that in a corner flyout, or by tapping the list, or something else. But then I'm not a huge fan of the iOS row-swipe for more than deleting something anyway :P.

I agree that merging offline lists could be a little more intuitive in general.

Perhaps the merge option could also be added to the "..." flyout after tapping the list. That implies that the flyout would contain any additional functions that are applicable to the current list being viewed (such as the other options available via the swipe)

OR

Maybe tapping Edit could provide more row-specific options.  Tap Edit, and instead of just moving or deleting, then since tapping a row does nothing at this point, it could pop up the Options for that row. That would actually be a really quick and IMO intuitive function to bring the options within reach.   My thought process really is just this: "I've tapped edit to edit the lists. Now I can move and delete. I touched a row- wait, nothing happened? hmph." :) Edit+Touch Row = Fly up Row Options.

Also, is there no ability to cancel a PQ or List download? Maybe there could be a confirmation popup on tapping a PQ to download it.  There's a bit of an inconsistency between Bookmark List view online, and the PQ list. BmkLists jumps to viewing the list on the Map, whereas PQ just immediately starts downloading it to an Offline List. The UI process is the same up until tapping the PQ/List to view. I don't think the PQ should just immediately start downloading to an Offline list...  =/

3 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Also, is there no ability to cancel a PQ or List download? Maybe there could be a confirmation popup on tapping a PQ to download it.  There's a bit of an inconsistency between Bookmark List view online, and the PQ list. BmkLists jumps to viewing the list on the Map, whereas PQ just immediately starts downloading it to an Offline List. The UI process is the same up until tapping the PQ/List to view. I don't think the PQ should just immediately start downloading to an Offline list...  =/

There isn't currently a way to cancel these.

The API handles bookmark lists and PQs much differently, so there isn't a way to make the interfaces work exactly the same.

3 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Maybe tapping Edit could provide more row-specific options.  Tap Edit, and instead of just moving or deleting, then since tapping a row does nothing at this point, it could pop up the Options for that row. That would actually be a really quick and IMO intuitive function to bring the options within reach.   My thought process really is just this: "I've tapped edit to edit the lists. Now I can move and delete. I touched a row- wait, nothing happened? hmph." :) Edit+Touch Row = Fly up Row Options.

This is something to take into account. We have worked to follow iOS Human Interface Guidelines for most/all of Cachly. Swiping to show options and tapping to me is extremely intuitive since iOS uses this same UI feature in many other places. I think once you get used to it you will love it. :)

44 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

There isn't currently a way to cancel these.

The API handles bookmark lists and PQs much differently, so there isn't a way to make the interfaces work exactly the same.

In this case I was more referring to this difference:
* Bookmarks: Tap a Row -> View on a Map/List, Options [Save to List, Export GPX]
* PQ: Tap a Row -> Auto-download to an Offline List

The PQ auto-download to a list seems quite sudden, and it can't be stopped, potentially using a lot of data. I like the flow of the Bookmarks listing.

..ooh, another option for the PQ list: Go to the PQ web page (in-app or link) to be able to toggle generation of PQs since afiak the API doesn't provide that function (that was a request I made in Geosphere and it's become invaluable for mobile PQ generation)

(yeah I know, I'll get on that bug tracker/request area :))

49 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

This is something to take into account.

Excellent. Just seems odd that you can't do anything by tapping a row when in Edit mode. Having the options show with that to me is very intuitive; same effect as tapping Options on the swipe. (and there are a number of other functions that can be accessed via different methods already; eg - swipe to tap Delete, or Edit+ (-) +Delete ... actually, I thought tapping the (-) would just delete, but it just does the same as the swipe action; meaning you can Edit-> (-) ->'Options' to get the flyup, but you can't Edit-> Row-tap to get the flyup)

Sorry, just commenting thoughts out loud :P (webapp developer here, UI/workflow is what I do all day long, heh)

2 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

Excellent. Just seems odd that you can't do anything by tapping a row when in Edit mode. Having the options show with that to me is very intuitive; same effect as tapping Options on the swipe. (and there are a number of other functions that can be accessed via different methods already; eg - swipe to tap Delete, or Edit+ (-) +Delete ... actually, I thought tapping the (-) would just delete, but it just does the same as the swipe action; meaning you can Edit-> (-) ->'Options' to get the flyup, but you can't Edit-> Row-tap to get the flyup)

Sorry, just commenting thoughts out loud :P (webapp developer here, UI/workflow is what I do all day long, heh)

Thanks. Will build this in my internal version and see what I think. :)

2 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

In this case I was more referring to this difference:
* Bookmarks: Tap a Row -> View on a Map/List, Options [Save to List, Export GPX]
* PQ: Tap a Row -> Auto-download to an Offline List

The PQ auto-download to a list seems quite sudden, and it can't be stopped, potentially using a lot of data. I like the flow of the Bookmarks listing.

These two are meant to be different. Users are used to the idea of PQs being downloaded and Bookmarks being viewed.

True, just feels like there's no indication that tapping a PQ downloads it. Wasn't intuitive on my first use, and with Bmklists having a different functionality but with the same display and lead up, just irks me. Elsewhere I might expect to see a download icon to the right, or something that just indicates an action that happens when tapping a row other than 'drilling down' which is what I'd expect.

gah. Please don't take my comments the wrong way, I hate getting detail oriented to that level :P I feel nit-picky. it's your design, just offering my experience coming in from a different perspective. /:)

... Ah, I think I see why I expected differently on the PQ list. There is an icon to the right already. It's the right carat which implies moving a step forward, viewing more detail, drilling down - it's the same icon on both Bookmark Lists and PQs.  What if for the PQ list it was the download icon instead of the right carat? That's a UI style used pretty often, and would to me make more sense to indicate what the row tap does.

40 minutes ago, thebruce0 said:

There is an icon to the right already. It's the right carat which implies moving a step forward, viewing more detail, drilling down - it's the same icon on both Bookmark Lists and PQs.  What if for the PQ list it was the download icon instead of the right carat? That's a UI style used pretty often, and would to me make more sense to indicate what the row tap does.

I agree. I think this would be a very useful fix. Thanks.