Pocket Queries to Offline list

barefootguru

Downloading PQs don't have any options because it will automatically download "Full" caches which do not count toward the users daily download count. So that is a good thing. 

In 2.0.1 it will also automatically download images, but there will be a new option in Settings to turn that off if you don't want that to happen. 

9 hours ago, Bolling said:

I just downloaded a PQ and the images started downloading automatically. That's a nice option. However, even when it's turned on it would be nice to have the option to cancel the image download mid-download.  That's my opinion anyway. 

We do have a cancel option on our list of features to add. In the meantime will the option to turn those image downloads off work for you? There is a Settings option for that.

• 1 month later...

In Geosphere we asked for the option to download either the ZIP/GPX of the PQ (like clicking to download it via the website) or to use the API Import feature.

If loading the ZIP file (importing to the local database), it doesn't load anything via the API, only takes whatever data the file provides.  If importing via the API then we have the option to load images and whatnot.

I presume Cachly only downloads the PQ via the API with the image download option?

One reason I like the generated PQ file download import feature is that I know what is imported and how much data is being used (and the data is highly compressed), and it doesn't count towards the API limit.

3 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

If loading the ZIP file (importing to the local database), it doesn't load anything via the API, only takes whatever data the file provides.  If importing via the API then we have the option to load images and whatnot.

I presume Cachly only downloads the PQ via the API with the image download option?

Cachly uses the API to gather all cache data for the PQ. This includes favorites, corrected coordinates, etc that the .zip doesn't include. We used to use the .zip but users were confused when it didn't include certain info.

3 hours ago, thebruce0 said:

One reason I like the generated PQ file download import feature is that I know what is imported and how much data is being used (and the data is highly compressed), and it doesn't count towards the API limit.

Getting the PQ data from the API rather than the .zip doesn't take away from your daily API count. :)

53 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Cachly uses the API to gather all cache data for the PQ. This includes favorites, corrected coordinates, etc that the .zip doesn't include. We used to use the .zip but users were confused when it didn't include certain info.

Yeah that was a rough addition to smooth out in geosphere. The confusion was because the PQ data is as-of PQ generation date, whereas if using the API, the caches contained in the PQ are still as of generation but the data itself downloaded from the API is current. That is to say, if you generated a PQ 3 days ago, and new caches are published that weren't there 3 days ago, they won't show in the PQ if you download it (via any method) today - even though you get logs on those older caches that were posted today.

It was GS's combining of temporal PQs with current API functions that makes it confusing :)  That was one reason I like the ZIP download - no confusing data, as long as you realize that all the data is only as of the generation date. If you want current data in a PQ, you need to generate the PQ right now, then download it (by zip or api). No way around that in any app. At least until the API allows generating the PQ and downloading it together (or maybe just uses the PQ search parameters to do a current API search and download).

But anyway.
I haven't used the ZIP pq download for a while. That import ability was good mainly for downloading the My Finds PQ, which as I recall isn't provided by the API - have to generate the PQ then manually download the ZIP from the web and import into the app.