Offline enhancements

AnyMules

Question

As another new Cachly user, coming from long term GeoSphere usage, there's a few things I used to use all the time in GeoSphere that I'm missing in Cachly, especially with Offline caches.

With GeoSphere, I was able to import my whole GSAK database (40,000+ caches) in to the app, and while it wouldn't show them all at once (limit was 8000), I was able to use filters on the offline lists to display subsets of caches (ie, just Unknowns, just those with Corrected Coordinates, just T5 caches, only caches within X distance, etc).  I can't seem to see any way of:

- having this many caches in Cachly without it crashing when accessing a large list
- filtering a list to show a certain subset of caches
- hiding my Found caches if they're present in my list
- the "List" of offline caches doesn't seem to reflect in any way my current distance from the caches

If any of the above can be done already and I'm just missing something, then I'd be grateful to learn how.

Thanks for otherwise what appears so far (only 1 day's usage, with some swapping back and forth to the old app) a great app!

4 answers to this question

Welcome to Cachly! :)

First off, I just want to say that Cachly is not meant to be a Geosphere clone. Things are different, and there might be a learning curve to how things are done.

However, your points are very valid, see below:

3 hours ago, AnyMules said:

With GeoSphere, I was able to import my whole GSAK database (40,000+ caches) in to the app, and while it wouldn't show them all at once (limit was 8000), I was able to use filters on the offline lists to display subsets of caches (ie, just Unknowns, just those with Corrected Coordinates, just T5 caches, only caches within X distance, etc).  I can't seem to see any way of:

- having this many caches in Cachly without it crashing when accessing a large list

Cachly wasn't built to handle 40,000+ caches in a list as it will use too much memory when importing. However, we are planning to update the database schema to handle larger numbers of caches like this. This likely will be coming in 2.1.

- filtering a list to show a certain subset of caches
- hiding my Found caches if they're present in my list

We are working to add a new Filters section of Offline Lists. This will allow you to do what you are wanting. Planning this feature also for 2.1.

- the "List" of offline caches doesn't seem to reflect in any way my current distance from the caches

Do you mean that the distance isn't getting updated? Or did you mean something else?

Happy to answer any more questions!

hanks for the quick responses Nic.  I realise that your app isn't designed as a GeoSphere replacement and is a different app all of its own.  I'm just trying manage the transition from one to the other.  I did try other apps (Looking4Cache as one example) before coming to Cachly, and have found Cachly to be the best and easiest to use as part of that transition.

I look forward to having an update that will allow lots of caches to be installed.  I travel quite frequently here in Australia, mainly within South Australia (about 14,000 active caches) and Victoria (about 16,000 active caches) and have become quite used to having them all available on my phone wherever I happen to be.

One of the great features of that other app was that it could filter the list and just show for example, everything within 100km of the current location, which limited it to about 6000 out of the 40k+ that I often had in the database.  That was really useful on cross country trips, so I'll be again very interested to see this in the new version when that becomes available.

My last query about the List distances was:

I go to Offline mode and select my list of caches I want (in the example I was testing, I have a list of 7606 caches - the same GPX file I emailed you earlier today from another discussion)

I click on the "List" tab at the top of the screen and it shows a list of the caches in some order (I've yet to work out what order this initial list is in)

If I then select the sort button on the top right and change it to Ascending Distance, the caches in the list are not sorted by by what is displayed as their distance, and I have some 18km mixed in between some 20km, and the caches that are right next to me are many pages of scrolling down the list (example screenshot attached).

Thanks for your prompt responses.

IMG_1901.PNG

2 minutes ago, AnyMules said:

I look forward to having an update that will allow lots of caches to be installed.  I travel quite frequently here in Australia, mainly within South Australia (about 14,000 active caches) and Victoria (about 16,000 active caches) and have become quite used to having them all available on my phone wherever I happen to be.

I hope to start work on this version after the Christmas holiday.

2 minutes ago, AnyMules said:

If I then select the sort button on the top right and change it to Ascending Distance, the caches in the list are not sorted by by what is displayed as their distance, and I have some 18km mixed in between some 20km, and the caches that are right next to me are many pages of scrolling down the list (example screenshot attached).

This is a bug that was reported by a few other users also. It has been fixed in our internal 2.0.1 version which I hope to submit to Apple this week.