Offline Photos

ShoesBologna

I've noticed this before, but especially noticed it this last weekend when we were aboard and didn't have any data connection.  We were using hotel wifi to download caches to the offline lists and just using GPS when we went out.  It worked.

However, when we got home, and I was logging online, I noticed that even though I had selected "download photos" it Cachly didn't download all of the photos for each cache.  In fact, there were a couple that we might not have DNF'd if we would have had the other photos (caches that were off their GPS).

Was wondering how Cachly decides which photos to download, and if we save a cache to the offline list several times will we continue to add photos?

Love Cachly and everything you guys do.  Keep up the great work!

When using the "Download Images" option Cachly looks through the log data that comes from the API for each cache. If the logs that are included (normally 30 logs) include images, those will be downloaded. So likely you will only get the last few images for a cache.

We don't download all images for caches because that would require a API call for each cache to find out what images are available (then downloading all images available). If we did try to do that it would quickly exhaust the available API calls that a user is allowed per minute. For example, if you were downloading 300 caches offline, we would have to make 300 requests to geocaching.com, and because we are limited to 30 requests per 60 seconds, this entire action would take over 10 minutes. :( 

Ah, got it.

So if I understand you correctly:

When planning to do offline caching, it would be wise to only add a few a cache at a time in order to get more pictures per cache.

As in, when I planned my trip to another country, I created an offline list of 550 caches, and added photos and radius maps-->So I probably only got a few photos per cache.

Or are those two things not related?

1 hour ago, ShoesBologna said:

Ah, got it.

So if I understand you correctly:

When planning to do offline caching, it would be wise to only add a few a cache at a time in order to get more pictures per cache.

As in, when I planned my trip to another country, I created an offline list of 550 caches, and added photos and radius maps-->So I probably only got a few photos per cache.

Or are those two things not related?

No, those two things are not related.

What I meant was, some caches might have 500 photos available for them, especially very popular historic caches. Cachly does not download all these images, it only checks the last 30 or so logs to see if images were included in those logs.