Average a waypoint?

wwbd

The other day I updated one of my hides with a new location about 50' from the original. Is there a way to average a waypoint with multiple samples? Sometimes just grabbing coordinates from one sample can be off by quite a bit. This of course would be helpful when placing new hides as well. I ended up using my old caching app to average out the waypoint which just keeps taking samples until you tell it to stop. Maybe I missed this somehow in Cachly?

Yes, that sounds about right. On the Add Waypoint screen.

That reminds me, it would also be nice to be able to have the coordinates available in one line somewhere in the waypoint so they can be copied and pasted into a log. That would be helpful in various scenarios like when you find that a coordinate is way off and you want to state an updated coordinate in your log. Similar to how you can copy the coordinate from the Additional Information screen.

1 minute ago, wwbd said:

That reminds me, it would also be nice to be able to have the coordinates available in one line somewhere in the waypoint so they can be copied and pasted into a log. That would be helpful in various scenarios like when you find that a coordinate is way off and you want to state an updated coordinate in your log. Similar to how you can copy the coordinate from the Additional Information screen.

Great idea. Will get that added!

• 11 months later...

Averaging in Geosphere never gave me any number but the original one displayed no matter how many samples. If I walked away and came back it would change some. Averaging multiple samples taken between walk away and come back might be better. It's almost like once the phone has coords and you are not moving it never bothers to try and see if they have changed. Unlike a GPSr. 

23 minutes ago, rragan said:

It's almost like once the phone has coords and you are not moving it never bothers to try and see if they have changed. Unlike a GPSr. 

This is correct. If you are not moving at all then iOS likely won't send any more coordinate updates (once a good accuracy is returned). This is to save power.

While on this topic, can you add this to the "add coords" feature while logging. Whilst caching yesterday, we were trying to add "better" coords to a log for a cache but found the built in feature only allowed for entering of coords we obtained from a second device or app. 

14 hours ago, rragan said:

Thinking more on averaging, would cycling low resolution back to high over and over make ios retake the location? That would beat manually taking multiple samples. 

I am not sure this would help. However I think turning on and off location services and waiting for a location fix would likely do the trick. I have noted this in the feature request in our internal tracker.