Highlighting Issues

diorex

I highlight caches for a bunch of different reasons and increasingly I am having more issues. In all honesty it might be related to the fact I keep adding more and more tags and the system might not be designed to support 10's of thousands of highlights.

1. I will highlight something one color but the color that is shown on the map will be a different color - yet when I go to the list view the colors are correct.  This is problematic as the primary use for these highlights for me are to help identify specific caches when I am doing a search in an area. Some use cases - I am looking for specific hide dates - say Feb 29 - and highlight caches all over the country hidden on Feb 29. I also highlight older caches - so anything 2002 or older anywhere in the country gets a different color. I also have a list of the most favorited cache in every county and a different list of the 1000 most favorited caches around the country. I prioritize certain colors over others so when the colors are not displaying correctly I am missing out identifying caches I would have otherwise really liked to have been made aware of, which sort of defeats the point of highlighting. This is really strange - sometimes a cache will have the wrong color for weeks, other times it will be correct and then randomly change (still displaying correctly in list view) and then flip back. I used to be able to trust the colors, but as I add more, I trust them less and less. 

2. Syncing - I do my sorting and highlighting on my ipad, but cache on my phone. Sometimes (most of the time) I can tag something and it will update seemingly in real time. Other times, I will update a cache and days later those caches are still not highlighted. I have tried using Manual Sync on both devices in various orders and that does not appear to help. This seems to magically fix itself and work fine for months, then stop working for no apparent reason. Seems like I am probably doing something to force the syncing - closing the app, restarting the device, jumping on one leg in a counter clockwise motion etc. but I have no idea what that "thing" is. 

3. Reset Highlight tags - This is an annoying thing that I have done several times (and again this morning) by accident. When on editing highlight colors screen the upper right corner clearly says reset, but it is placed in an area that is used by many apps as the back button or a menu or other functionality. Can we move reset button to the bottom of the screen or perhaps put a "dummy check" in asking if I really want to reset these labels? This is more a stupid user than anything else but this stupid user keeps making the same stupid mistake.

4. Search functionality - (more of a feature request but in theme with the rest of the post) would be cool if a search filter allowed me to look only for highlighted caches - Since these are known "interesting caches" I would love to be able to search just for them as a filter. Sometimes I just want the nearby caches, other times I would be willing to go further out of my way to get these flagged caches. 

1 hour ago, diorex said:

This is really strange - sometimes a cache will have the wrong color for weeks, other times it will be correct and then randomly change (still displaying correctly in list view) and then flip back. I used to be able to trust the colors, but as I add more, I trust them less and less. 

How many highlights do you have? Please see More > Highlighting.

Are you able to replicate this issue on a brand new cache?

1 hour ago, diorex said:

Syncing - I do my sorting and highlighting on my ipad, but cache on my phone. Sometimes (most of the time) I can tag something and it will update seemingly in real time. Other times, I will update a cache and days later those caches are still not highlighted. I have tried using Manual Sync on both devices in various orders and that does not appear to help. This seems to magically fix itself and work fine for months, then stop working for no apparent reason. Seems like I am probably doing something to force the syncing - closing the app, restarting the device, jumping on one leg in a counter clockwise motion etc. but I have no idea what that "thing" is. 

This is done by iCloud, and developers don't have control over "when" it syncs. We essentially hand off the data to iCloud and it syncs when iOS thinks the time is appropriate based on system conditions, network use, etc etc. Normally this is instantly.

1 hour ago, diorex said:

Reset Highlight tags - This is an annoying thing that I have done several times (and again this morning) by accident. When on editing highlight colors screen the upper right corner clearly says reset, but it is placed in an area that is used by many apps as the back button or a menu or other functionality. Can we move reset button to the bottom of the screen or perhaps put a "dummy check" in asking if I really want to reset these labels? This is more a stupid user than anything else but this stupid user keeps making the same stupid mistake.

I will add a confirmation to prevent accidental tapping.

1 hour ago, diorex said:

Search functionality - (more of a feature request but in theme with the rest of the post) would be cool if a search filter allowed me to look only for highlighted caches - Since these are known "interesting caches" I would love to be able to search just for them as a filter. Sometimes I just want the nearby caches, other times I would be willing to go further out of my way to get these flagged caches. 

You can do this in offline lists. If you have those caches in a specific list you can use filters such as "has highlight" or "has highlight color". You can also use the "Restore caches from highlights" option if you would like to create an offline list with all your highlights.