Merge info

hidegoseek

35 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

There was a bug fix that solves an issue when updating offline caches would not update their hint and description. No other attributes were affected.Is that the issue you are experiencing? 

I regularly use gpx files that I create in iCaching and import into Cachly using Dropbox.  There's a field in iCaching called "My Note" (not to be confused with "Personal Cache Note" on gc.com) that would import into Cachly and show up in the cache description.  In Cachly 5.2.2 a gpx import from iCaching still shows the My Note information, but now the little red triangles denoting solved puzzles are gone.   If I update a cache within Cachly the red triangle magically appears, but now the "My Note" data is gone.   If I use a "gpx w/ iCaching extensions" for the import the red triangles show up, but not the My Note information.   This same problem occurred when v3.x was released and was subsequently fixed, but now it's back.   And just for the record, I've always used the gpx export option in iCaching (as opposed to the gpx with iCaching extensions) and solved puzzles were correctly identified on the map.   

Can you email me one of the GPX files?

Looking at my file change diffs the only change was to the hint and description when importing, nothing should have been changed with corrected coordinates. Can you confirm that the caches have corrected coordinates that you are exporting as GPX?

On 3/17/2017 at 11:50 AM,  hidegoseek said: 

However, when I update that offline list in Cachly my notes are overwritten in the process.  Will v 2.1 merge the description instead of overwriting it?  

[Nic]  Yes, it will do a merge.

The above copy/paste is from 2017 when the same problem arose.  My current issue again has to do with the description being overwriten and not merged with what previoiusly existed.  The change in the description update is my concern.  

1 hour ago, hidegoseek said:

My current issue again has to do with the description being overwriten and not merged with what previoiusly existed.  The change in the description update is my concern.  

Forgive my previous statement, what I meant was a merging in of data to the original geocache object with new data, not a text merge where new text is appended to the description. Cachly has never merged description in the sense of a doing a diff and then merging text together, it checked some conditions and then replaced the text.

Can you explain the instances where this becomes a problem? E.g. the GPX contains a blank description so the local one gets overwritten, etc.? What part of the description are you not wanting to be updated?