Map Auto-Zoom, Watch Multi Support and some more

Steinpilz42

Question

Hi Cachly-Community

As a long-time Looking4Cache user I gave Cachly a try since I own an Apple Watch.

It's a very nice app with a lot of features, some things I miss so it could be even better:

1. If the map is in mode "navigate to target" it isn't auto-zoom when I approach the target. You need to manually reload to zoom in when you get closer.

2. It would be nice to have a compass and the map in one view

3. What about a proximity alert so you get a sound when you approach the target by X meters?

4. Can Cachly access the favo ratio beside the absolute favo count? It would be nice to sort a list by the favo ratio.

5. When you add a projection waypoint, the base is always the current position, right? It would be far better if you can also set an existing waypoint as the projection base.

6. When having a multi cache with multiple waypoints, the watch app is always navigating to the listing coordinates. Or am I doing something wrong?

7. Often requested: I want to restrict existing logs to my friends. It's not needed to interact with the GC-Friend list. It would be enough if I can create a local user list and to filter log lists to that users.

Hope to see some of these features in the near future ...

Ulli 

(Steinpilz42)

5 answers to this question

On 3/8/2019 at 11:38 AM, Steinpilz42 said:

1. If the map is in mode "navigate to target" it isn't auto-zoom when I approach the target. You need to manually reload to zoom in when you get closer.

2. It would be nice to have a compass and the map in one view

3. What about a proximity alert so you get a sound when you approach the target by X meters?

We have these on our list as well. Hopefully can get them added in a future version.

4. Can Cachly access the favo ratio beside the absolute favo count? It would be nice to sort a list by the favo ratio.

Not currently. I am not sure the API provides enough data to calculate this.

When you add a projection waypoint, the base is always the current position, right? It would be far better if you can also set an existing waypoint as the projection base.

When viewing waypoints, you can tap the ... button and choose to Duplicate it. Once there you can choose to project the coordinate which will be from the waypoint location.

6. When having a multi cache with multiple waypoints, the watch app is always navigating to the listing coordinates. Or am I doing something wrong?

Yes it is.

7. Often requested: I want to restrict existing logs to my friends. It's not needed to interact with the GC-Friend list. It would be enough if I can create a local user list and to filter log lists to that users.

Sadly the geocaching.com API doesn't provide a way to do that. Hopefully in the future!

5 hours ago, Nic Hubbard said:

We have these on our list as well. Hopefully can get them added in a future version.

That Sounds nice. Thank you. Good work so far!

Yes it is.

That means what? So I cannot use the watch app to navigate to anything else but the listing coordinate? Then the watch companion is not very useful.

Sadly the geocaching.com API doesn't provide a way to do that. Hopefully in the future!

I don't understand why the API has something to do with this. When I create a GPX with caches, for example using Project-GC, I'm able to include up to 100 Logs in the GPX. So Cachly have these 100 Logs and with a local list of my friends it can offer a filter method. Why not?

I'm not affiliated with Cachly but have some comments...

2 hours ago, Steinpilz42 said:

So I cannot use the watch app to navigate to anything else but the listing coordinate? Then the watch companion is not very useful.

Multis aren't the norm and you have < 9% of your caches as multis. Even if currently not possible, that leaves 90% of your caches that are ok to use just the watch. Mine happens to be < 2%. I'm not diminishing multis but just posting a perspective. 

2 hours ago, Steinpilz42 said:

don't understand why the API has something to do with this. When I create a GPX with caches, for example using Project-GC, I'm able to include up to 100 Logs in the GPX. So Cachly have these 100 Logs and with a local list of my friends it can offer a filter method. Why not?

I don't know if your initial request was specific that it would only be offline caches already downloaded to your phone and acting on just those offline logs. The API would be needed to interact with the Live mode and often what other cachers have requested. Offline only filtering would seem possible should Cachly choose to add this enhancement. 

1 hour ago, Team DEMP said:

Multis aren't the norm and you have < 9% of your caches as multis. Even if currently not possible, that leaves 90% of your caches that are ok to use just the watch. Mine happens to be < 2%. I'm not diminishing multis but just posting a perspective. 

I think that depends on the country, here in Germany we have lots of multis and various mystery caches and letterboxes with multiple stages.

4 hours ago, Steinpilz42 said:

That means what? So I cannot use the watch app to navigate to anything else but the listing coordinate? Then the watch companion is not very useful.

This is an enhancement that we will be add soon.

4 hours ago, Steinpilz42 said:

I don't understand why the API has something to do with this. When I create a GPX with caches, for example using Project-GC, I'm able to include up to 100 Logs in the GPX. So Cachly have these 100 Logs and with a local list of my friends it can offer a filter method. Why not?

Cachly cannot currently access your list of Friends because of privacy reasons. Please see https://medium.com/@cachly/statement-on-friends-user-privacy-and-gdpr-aacfc7a94b78

Because of this we don't have a way to filter logs based on friends.