Cachly 5 crashes constantly

BigChiefS4

iPhone XS MAX, iOS 12.1.4, Cachly 5.0.1 (2). I use Cachly constantly and have many offline lists that I have meticulously maintained. After the 5.0 update, it crashes constantly

If I am in the Live screen, I bring up a cache and try to import it into an offline list - crash

Goto the Lists tab - crash

Goto the More tab and find the Cachly version - crash

If I open the app and just let it sit there, it crashes in less than a minute. The app is unusable as it is. I can't even make a backup. Anything I try and do it crashes. I rebooted my phone, still crashes.

I want to upload the crash logs, but I don't know which one to send. There are dozens and dozens of analytics logs. 

Please help,

BigChiefS4

11 hours ago, BigChiefS4 said:

I backed up everything, deleted the app, restored my sqlite db, and it's still crashing. 

I tried adding a cache from live view to an offline list - crash

Just opening the app and letting it sit idle - crash

Grrr.

Can you turn Airplane mode on, and turn off wifi? I am wanting to block all network connections and see what this does.

Sadly, without crash logs it is just guessing.

1 hour ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Can you turn Airplane mode on, and turn off wifi? I am wanting to block all network connections and see what this does.

Sadly, without crash logs it is just guessing.

Even in Airplane mode, if I open the app and let it just sit there, it will crash in less than a minute.

I read a post on another site about troubleshooting SQLite DB's, so I made a copy of the SQLite DB on my Windows 10 PC, assumed that it's using SQLite3, ran pragma integrity_check, which returned an OK response. One suggestion was to export the SQL data, then reimport it into a new DB. Any thoughts on that?

14 minutes ago, BigChiefS4 said:

One suggestion was to export the SQL data, then reimport it into a new DB. Any thoughts on that?

I would make no guarantees about this at all. Apple's Core Data framework handles all of the SQL, so I have no idea what would happen if you try this.

Just so I am sure, when you say crash, you mean Cachly completely exits back to your home screen? 

In your iOS Settings > Privacy > Analytics, do you have the option turned on to Share analytics with App Developers?

1 minute ago, Nic Hubbard said:

I would make no guarantees about this at all. Apple's Core Data framework handles all of the SQL, so I have no idea what would happen if you try this.

Just so I am sure, when you say crash, you mean Cachly completely exits back to your home screen? 

In your iOS Settings > Privacy > Analytics, do you have the option turned on to Share analytics with App Developers?

OK, fair enough. I didn't know how much SQL you knew (or needed to know).

Yes, the app closes back to the home screen, always in less than a minute after opening it.

Yes, I have that option turned on in the Analytics. It wasn't turned on when I submitted this ticket yesterday, but I turned it on yesterday.

3 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

One other thing to check, but I don't think this will matter, but can you try turned off Location Services for Cachly, then open again? I want to rule out any background location services issues.

This didn't make any difference. It opens to the Live screen, then crashes to the home screen after less than a minutes.

And iOS still has not generated a crash log? Just wanting to check to make sure.

If you have time, possibly try one of the options to look for Crash logs when plugging your phone into your computer: https://help.dayoneapp.com/troubleshooting/getting-ios-crash-logs

I was just looking at that exact page! Gimme a minute...

22 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

And iOS still has not generated a crash log? Just wanting to check to make sure.

If you have time, possibly try one of the options to look for Crash logs when plugging your phone into your computer: https://help.dayoneapp.com/troubleshooting/getting-ios-crash-logs

I can't find the logs on my PC in all the usual locations. I'm running Windows 10.

I've looked in
C:\Users\carlsocj\AppData\Local
C:\Users\carlsocj\AppData\LocalLow
C:\Users\carlsocj\AppData\Roaming

5 minutes ago, BigChiefS4 said:

I can't find the logs on my PC in all the usual locations. I'm running Windows 10.

I've looked in
C:\Users\carlsocj\AppData\Local
C:\Users\carlsocj\AppData\LocalLow
C:\Users\carlsocj\AppData\Roaming

What about using this path?

Windows 8: Make sure that you have hidden files and folders enabled in the Folder Options of the Windows Control Panel, then go to: C:\Documents and Settings\\Application Data\Apple computer\Logs\CrashReporter\<your iPhone’s name>\

What about using this path?

No, Microsoft keeps changing the default path for local users. There is no Documents and Settings folder on Windows 10.

OK, so I did find a C:\ProgramData\Apple (and Apple Computer) folder, but no Logs folder anywhere underneath that.

Another step to debugging this, and sorry for this hassle, is to share your SQLite file with me through dropbox or other way. I can then load that into my version of Cachly, and if it crashes I can see the code it is crashing on. If it doesn't crash, then there is something more device specific happening.

If you do want to do this, make sure to email the details to me, support@cach.ly.

Also, what device do you use?

9 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Another quick thing to try, have you logged out of Cachly and then back in?

Seriously!? That's what fixed it (so far)! Such a simple thing, but the app hasn't crashed in the past few minutes, whereas before it would ALWAYS crash within a minute.

If this doesn't fix it long-term, I will send you my sqlite db. 

P.S. Thank you for bringing back Google Maps!! App is also much faster than previous versions.

1 minute ago, BigChiefS4 said:

Seriously!? That's what fixed it (so far)! Such a simple thing, but the app hasn't crashed in the past few minutes, whereas before it would ALWAYS crash within a minute.

Well I am glad that worked!

I am not 100% sure, but there must have been some API calls happening in the background, and maybe there was an issue with your auth token.

What device are you using?

Well I am glad that worked!

I am not 100% sure, but there must have been some API calls happening in the background, and maybe there was an issue with your auth token.

What device are you using?

I mentioned it in my first post - iPhone XS MAX, iOS 12.1.4, Cachly 5.0.1 (2)

Is it possible my token expired between the last time I used 4.x and the new version got installed, causing it to fail somehow?

1 minute ago, BigChiefS4 said:

I mentioned it in my first post - iPhone XS MAX, iOS 12.1.4, Cachly 5.0.1 (2)

Sorry, missed that.

2 minutes ago, BigChiefS4 said:

Is it possible my token expired between the last time I used 4.x and the new version got installed, causing it to fail somehow?

Yes, that is possible, but the expire and login flow has been tested. (Obviously something is still happening) I even tested expiring my token and it worked correctly.

Sorry about the headache this caused for you, I will look deeper into what could have caused this.

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:14 AM, Nic Hubbard said:

Very sorry this is happening!

We haven’t had any other reports of this, so it for sure shouldn’t be happening. 

Yes please email crash logs. You want to send the crash logs that have Cachly in the name, not any that say analytics. 

Please see:

Thanks!

Just a quick note to say that I had exactly the same issue as BigChiefS4 when I opened Cachly today.  The app would constantly crash within a few seconds of starting up.  I too could find no crash logs on my iPhone 7 (Cachly 5.0.2 (4)), but I deleted the app and reinstalled it and now it seems to be working okay.  I didn't have to log in to Cachly or Geocaching.com after the restart, it already had the user account set up, although I did lose the offline lists I had, but that wasn't a major problem.

Kevin

1 hour ago, 1967kevin said:

Just a quick note to say that I had exactly the same issue as BigChiefS4 when I opened Cachly today.  The app would constantly crash within a few seconds of starting up.  I too could find no crash logs on my iPhone 7 (Cachly 5.0.2 (4)), but I deleted the app and reinstalled it and now it seems to be working okay.  I didn't have to log in to Cachly or Geocaching.com after the restart, it already had the user account set up, although I did lose the offline lists I had, but that wasn't a major problem.

Kevin

Thanks. This bug will be fixed in 5.0.3.

On 3/1/2019 at 2:24 PM, Nic Hubbard said:

Happy to help!

I just wanted to update you - I've been doing some caching while I'm in Houston this week. Wow, the new app is so much faster! This is what I like to see! Oh, and not a single crash, either.

I use Google Maps and the zoom level it defaults to when hitting the center button (that centers the map on you), is always way zoomed in. Maybe I missed it somewhere, but can you change that? It would be nice if it kept the current zoom level when it centers the map.

2 minutes ago, BigChiefS4 said:

I use Google Maps and the zoom level it defaults to when hitting the center button (that centers the map on you), is always way zoomed in. Maybe I missed it somewhere, but can you change that? It would be nice if it kept the current zoom level when it centers the map.

No, this isn't customizable. I just tested and I think it is a pretty good zoom level, not too close or too far. Keeping the same zoom level as current isn't something I would want to do, because if a user is zoomed very very far out it would just nudge the map and not really bring them to their location.