Send waypoint or cache to another app

Ezh_gps

Is there a way to send waypoint from Cachly to another app (in addition to Apple or Google Maps)? For example, to get the stage or final shown in OffMap2 in case there is no mobile data coverage? Similar question: is there a way to send GC code of the cache being viewed or navigated to in Cachly and open it in another app like GCBuddy?

Normally, app to app communication in iOS is done via custom URL provided by the app. For example, Cachly has URL protocol cachly://......

i found a protocol for Offmaps but since Offmaps2 is a different product you would need to confirm with the developers that they support it or find out what they do support. This is what I found:

• offmaps://?ll=[LATITUDE],[LONGITUDE]&z=[Zoom Level 3-17]&placemarker=1&placename=[WAYPOINT]
  • I expect this launches Offmaps with a waypoint using the name given at the designated coordinates. 

You can trying building such a URL in Safari and see if it launches Offmaps2 as an initial test  

gcbuddy seems to have a custom URL but details are sketchy.

gcbuddy://add/cache?id=GC12345&name=A%20test%20cache"

Their support can likely provide more info.

Assuming you have custom URLs that do what you want, you will need to convince Cachly development to support integration with these other apps  

In the meantime, you can easily copy the coordinates of a cache by a long press on the Coordinate text. Then you might be able to use the other apps with these coordinates by pasting them. Long press on the GC code in the title will copy it  if they want the code.

Many thanks for the replies, really appreciated.

Not sure if the URL command can be used to send GPX, guess GPX file will need to be saved first. Actually, the possibility to use URL syntax from Cachly is exactly what I was asking about. Would be really helpful to call other apps this way. The URLs which work perfectly for OffMaps2 and GCBuddy are  

• offmaps2://?ll=[LATITUDE],[LONGITUDE]&z=17&placemarker=1&placename=[CACHECODE or NAME]
  • gcbuddy://add/caches?codes=[CACHECODE]

Used to rely on such commands in Geosphere and L4C. As I understood from rragan's detailed reply, this feature is not yet implemented.

Question for Cachly development team: would it be feasible to implement this very useful feature? Thank you.

Thank you for the reply, Nic!

Yes. Something like "Open Link" menu item in "..." menu on the cache description page and on waypoint page which is configurable by the user. So the user could give a name to the action and provide the URL command. For two apps described above user could set up actions with the names "Open in OffMaps" and "Send to GCBuddy" and appropriate URLs stated above.