Previous Geosphere user wanting a couple of additional features (if they aren't already available)

1MinnieMoo

Question

Hi, I have just changed over from Geosphere (it officially died this last week), and have downloaded and begun to use Cachly after many people recommended it.  So far I am quite happy with its usability.  I was just wondering about a couple of features I used rather extensively in Geosphere that I'm unsure of in Cachly. 

1. Can you tell me if I can upload an image to a cache locally (a picture of a clue, or a cache, for example) for my own future reference so that it won't be uploaded to the cache page with a log?

2. Is the feature of waypoint averaging available on Cachly yet too? I used this when placing caches using geosphere and was told my coordinates were always quite accurate, as phone is my preferred caching technology.

Regards

14 answers to this question

16 hours ago, 1MinnieMoo said:

1. Can you tell me if I can upload an image to a cache locally (a picture of a clue, or a cache, for example) for my own future reference so that it won't be uploaded to the cache page with a log?

No, this isn't possible currently.

16 hours ago, 1MinnieMoo said:

2. Is the feature of waypoint averaging available on Cachly yet too? I used this when placing caches using geosphere and was told my coordinates were always quite accurate, as phone is my preferred caching technology.

No, Cachly doesn't have this feature yet either. Although it is on my list to add in an upcoming version.

Thanks for the response Nic and rragan. 

rragan - yes I could attach locally to a cache in geosphere without worrying about it being uploaded online, and have done this with a couple of hundred caches, and of course am now in the boat where I need to work out how to save that info from geosphere for my records. 

Nic - Is it likely that adding a photo locally to a cache is on your list for an upcoming version as well? 

Another request too is for a messaging option to be added to cachly for when you need to message answers to COs for earthcaches etc., so we don't have to use the official app for that, it seems that is the one thing everyone still seems to be using that app for, so would be great not to have to any longer - is this likely in the near future as well?

Headed out for a day of caching today, and used Cachly for all 31 finds without any dramas.  Thanks for the app, and for such great response to help/suggestions from users!

2 hours ago, 1MinnieMoo said:

Another request too is for a messaging option to be added to cachly for when you need to message answers to COs for earthcaches etc., so we don't have to use the official app for that, it seems that is the one thing everyone still seems to be using that app for, so would be great not to have to any longer - is this likely in the near future as well?

The messaging feature is not available to 3rd party apps which is why everyone still needs to use the official app or website for this function.  Groundspeak would need to open that up to the developers.

I always wondered why the core platform for Groundspeak didn't allow for private images. I would leverage that feature to upload spoilers, etc attached to a cache note, etc. 

Not sure I'd leverage Cachly's app based approach as that's not global across apps/web sites. Plus, as beta testers, sometimes we need to blow things away and start over. 

1 minute ago, Nic Hubbard said:

iCloud Drive could be utilized to allow syncing across devices.

Possibly across Cachly apps but not across all apps and sites. Cachly is "transient" to me and doesn't contain all my info - just very recent and planned. I know GS users leveraged the old app as their offline database but it just doesn't make sense to me at this point. There would need to be a lot of work in the app and effort on the cacher (me) to constantly refresh the Cachly data based on activities outside of the cachly. I'm sure there are others that would be thrilled to get small pieces of their beloved GS features added.

16 minutes ago, Team DEMP said:

Possibly across Cachly apps but not across all apps and sites. Cachly is "transient" to me and doesn't contain all my info - just very recent and planned. I know GS users leveraged the old app as their offline database but it just doesn't make sense to me at this point. There would need to be a lot of work in the app and effort on the cacher (me) to constantly refresh the Cachly data based on activities outside of the cachly. I'm sure there are others that would be thrilled to get small pieces of their beloved GS features added.

True. But I do think it would be a nice solution to sync across iCloud for those users who did keep those sort of things in Cachly.

I have used the local images in Geosphere  on many caches. I upload screenprints of the satellite map to aid in “seeing” trails and reference points when I am caching offline due to lack of service in the area.  This was needed in much of a trip in the northernmost counties of California. This would be totally unusable, obviously, if I had to go thru the cloud to get the images. We am planning a month in Alaska and will be without service much of the time and I am having nightmares trying to find a way to store and organize 100’s of satellite photos so that they can be reasonably accessed on site. I may be creating a binder with printed pages - remember those days??  I have been pleased with Cachly so far but there are still features I relied heavily on in Geosphere, like the local images, that I am lost without. But, I read that you guys are great about adding new features to keep users like us sane. 

Thanks!

Sort of a workaround albeit a little tedious. Say you have 3 sat photos on the camera roll for GCXxxx. Select all 3 and Save as PDF in iBooks. iBooks works offline and you can view the images. You likely want you give the iBook entry a useful name like the GC code.

On 6/7/2018 at 5:41 PM, rragan said:

Sort of a workaround albeit a little tedious. Say you have 3 sat photos on the camera roll for GCXxxx. Select all 3 and Save as PDF in iBooks. iBooks works offline and you can view the images. You likely want you give the iBook entry a useful name like the GC code.

I do not have an option to save to iBooks - is there something i need to set up?