Wiki Feedback

ACME WildCachers

Someone on the Facebook user group indicated the wiki was difficult to navigate, so I asked for specifics. I haven't given this much thought yet, but wanted to pass along the reply:

Hyperlink the reference. Or have the full menu in a drop down. Going back to the main page, I forget what I’m looking for. It only shows what’s in the section you’re lookin at, but other menus are mentioned and someone that doesn’t know the app/premium features well, it’s frustrating to have to try and remember what you’re looking for on the main page.

On 5/28/2018 at 7:03 PM, Nic Hubbard said:

A wiki is a wiki, that is just how they work. If we want to restructure or rebuild how it functions that is one thing, but changing how wiki's work in general isn't something we should do.

Completely agree. We won't be able to please everyone. If the very nature of a wiki is unintuitive to someone, there's not much we can do.

On 5/29/2018 at 6:06 AM, rragan said:

Specifics on what subjects he had trouble finding would help. 

I did actually push a little harder to understand the struggle and this is what I got back.

It’s just the general organization. It’ll mention to go to a menu, but there’s no link and it won’t be on the page. You have to go all the way out to the main menu, and click until you find it. When I noticed it, I was learning about offline lists, pq, and bookmarks. I was trying to find along the route info, but I found that on gs website.

I think this is potentially valid criticism. I haven't been browsing the wiki recently so maybe we are already doing a relatively good job of this, but cross-linking between pages is an easy win and something we should remain conscious of when making edits. A good rule of thumb is that the first mention of another topic that has content on a separate page should be a link to that other page or a section of the page.