Adopting Previously found caches--a problem?

Saved by God's grace

Hello all,

A local cacher is moving out of my area, and I adopted a few of his caches that I previously found (years ago) to keep them going in his absence. It's causing a big problem for me with Cachly however: because I filter out my found caches on the map, my newly adopted caches aren't showing up--and even if I turn all the filters off, they still show smilies instead of the "owner stars." Is there any way some logic could be modified to fix this?

10 minutes ago, Team DEMP said:

I have adopted caches that show in Cachly with the owners star.  Not sure why it's causing a "big problem" for you in Cachly - what is the problem?  Are you looking in Live view or an offline list that contains one of the caches?

@Team DEMP, this is only occuring on caches I have adopted that I have previous "Found it" logs on...which I cannot convert to "Write Note" logs without messing up my milestone stats...

9 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Seems like a logic issue. I don’t have any adopted caches myself to test this. What is the cache code and your username?

@Nic Hubbard, my GC username is the same as here: Saved by God's grace. one of several GC codes you can use to test this is GC22RM1. Thanks for looking into it!

Just now, Saved by God's grace said:

@Team DEMP, this is only occuring on caches I have adopted that I have previous "Found it" logs on...which I cannot convert to "Write Note" logs without messing up my milestone stats...

It is working for me as I noted.  I asked but didn't see answered if you are looking in Live view or an Offline list where you have the cache loaded?

How is this a problem for you? What is it preventing or hindering you from doing in Cachly? 

14 hours ago, Team DEMP said:

It is working for me as I noted.  I asked but didn't see answered if you are looking in Live view or an Offline list where you have the cache loaded?

How is this a problem for you? What is it preventing or hindering you from doing in Cachly? 

This is occuring in the live view only...but is incredibly annoying as I don't particulary want to have to update an offline list of my own caches all the time. Basically, this issue is preventing me from quickly accessing my own caches (now) because they're hidden by the common filtering methods.

All that said, I've come up with a workaround, which involves going to More>[My Username]>Hides, but again, it would be lovely to access *my* caches on *my* live view without all these extra steps!;)

I'm still confused on your workflow. I'm not suggesting there might not be an issue that needs to get dealt with.

You indicate it's occurring in Live view but then reference updating offline lists - 2 different things. In Live view, do you have the default filter set to Exclude My Finds and Exclude My Hides? Since you are the original owner or adopted owner of all owned caches, that should filter them from the Live view.

On the offline list piece, do you want your finds/owned in a list? I usually remove/filter them, but regardless, how are you updating the cache? If you are doing a basic update have you tried a full update? Have you tried removing the adopted cache and adding it back into the list?

Some thoughts in case you haven't tried those yet. 

Just as a quick follow-up, I went into an adopted cache of mine and added it to a new list. I used basic data and it was added to a new offline list and shows as owned. I don't have a way to test an offline list that had the cache before I adopted it and if something isn't possibly getting updated after the cache is adopted.

@Saved by God's grace just so that I am clear on the issue. You are having a problem with this in two ways:

• Caches that you adopted show smilies instead of a star since you previously found them but then adopted them.
  • Using Search Options and entering your username into the "Found by" field does not show your adopted caches.

Is this correct and all the issues you are having?

@Nic Hubbard Yes, that is true, but (my mistake) with one difference: the found-now-adopted caches *are* showing up as stars, but *don't* show up when filtering out caches found by me. Basically, the issue I'm having is the "not found by" search logic is superseding the "show owned by" logic and hiding some of my owned caches in the live view map. Thus (note my previous posts), I have to work around this for these caches by digging through the options, or alternatively creating an offline list of my own caches--neither of which are exactly useful propositions...:(

Hopefully that makes sense now! My apologies for not being very clear before...

Your original post indicates all your adopted caches have previously been found by you. Is that still an accurate statement?

If so, your last post in this thread says that you are seeing caches not found by you before it checks that you are the owner. But in your case, every owner cache is also a found. Can you send a screenshot of your search options settings - gear icon in the search bar of the Live screen. 

Again, with what I think is the same situation as you, if I filter out my hides AND/OR I filter out my finds, I see what I expect to see. If I exclude EITHER My Finds or My Hides, I don't see those adopted caches as I both found and own them. I see them displayed only if the search options are disabled for both Exclude My Finds AND Exclude My Hides in which case they all show as green map points with stars. 

On 4/30/2018 at 10:20 AM, Saved by God's grace said:

I have to work around this for these caches by digging through the options, or alternatively creating an offline list of my own caches--neither of which are exactly useful propositions...

Could the issue here be, perhaps, that iOS 11 is inserting a smart apostrophe when you type your username into the "Hidden by users" option?

See: http://www.cach.ly/help/index.php/FAQ#I_can_login_to_geocaching.com_with_my_username.2Fpassword_but_it_won.27t_work_in_Cachly which will still be relevant for this issue even though it talks about login.

Hello all,

My apologies for not responding to the questions and helpful hints the past couple days--this thing called "life" (the thing that keeps us from caching sometimes!:blink:) has been a little crazy lately. Thanks ya'll, for all the suggestions and help!

To get into specifics, my initial post is referring to basically the same thing as what @eM-Burr is also referring too. Effectively, whenever a cache is adopted, it seems to be causing issues in the live view map for the DNF frowns (I had that with a cache I adopted actually, until I converted those DNFs to Write Note logs), or the "Hide My Finds" switch in the live view map filtering options (sorry Nic for my mistake in misleading you:(...I'm talking about the switch, not the "Found by User" Fields--although yes, I hate that smart apostrophe, and turned it off on my iPhone!<_<)

Perhaps some of the confusion is coming from my (albeit perhaps not quite right^_^) viewpoint that when a cache is adopted, it should start getting counted as an "owned" cache in apps instead of a "found" or "DNF" cache, even if those logs exist for my user on that cache listing. At the same time though, I don't think I should have to delete my found it logs as the new owner for things to show up "correctly" (in my opinion) in apps, since no one likes to delete finds and destroy their milestone stats!:( If my thinking is erroneous, my apologies...and I'll stop with this thread and start using my "workarounds" listed above!:lol: However, if this logic makes sense, I believe it would be much appreciated by at least a select number of cachers like myself who have adopted caches they've previously logged.

4 minutes ago, Saved by God's grace said:

With the beta version (thanks @Nic Hubbard --I'm loving this!:)), my one DNF'd adopted cache is showing up properly. However, my multiple Found and adopted caches are still not behaving...<_<

So now adopted caches, that you previously found are showing as smilies, rather than the owned star?

12 minutes ago, Nic Hubbard said:

So now adopted caches, that you previously found are showing as smilies, rather than the owned star?

Actually, they're showing as the stars (thankfully!), but when I have the "Hide My Finds" switch turned on, they disappear on the live map...which I guess is tecnically the expected action the more I think about it (facepalm...:wacko:). It would seem to make sense to me though if owning (adopting) a cache "overrode" (if that's even a word!:lol:) *any* previous find/DNF logs, and forced the caches to show up under any filtering settings, with the exception of having the "Hide My Hides" switch on to hide them...

3 hours ago, Saved by God's grace said:

Actually, they're showing as the stars (thankfully!), but when I have the "Hide My Finds" switch turned on, they disappear on the live map...which I guess is tecnically the expected action the more I think about it (facepalm...:wacko:). It would seem to make sense to me though if owning (adopting) a cache "overrode" (if that's even a word!:lol:) *any* previous find/DNF logs, and forced the caches to show up under any filtering settings, with the exception of having the "Hide My Hides" switch on to hide them...

Those caches being hidden is correct behavior. This is just how the API works and will hide owned caches with that option.

6 hours ago, Nic Hubbard said:

Those caches being hidden is correct behavior. This is just how the API works and will hide owned caches with that option.

Okay, thanks @Nic Hubbard for the help and fixing the DNF issue--and for putting up with my illogical thinking!:P And thanks @eM-Burr for jumping on here too!:)